I'm going to mostly cash in Long-Term portfolio

Discussion in 'Trading' started by qlai, Nov 19, 2021.

1. qlai

qlai

I moved my 401k to 75% cash yesterday. Doesn't feel right to me up here. If I'm early, so be it, just don't want to be a part of this Bull market anymore.

2. rb7

rb7

You may be right, or you may be wrong.
    The next big bear market reason is probably still unknown.

Some guys were saying that 5 years ago when the S&P was in the 2200.
    Again, you may be right, like those guys 5 years ago (they were finally wrong!).

murray t turtle likes this.
  3. Sitting in cash when inflation is 6% (according to govt) and SP500 is at an all-time high? Bold move

4. You could hedge? Buy puts or sell calls maybe. I don't think it makes sense to go to cash yet. There is still the possibility of a shorts-destroying end of year rally.

5. trading your 401k = not great strategy. Keep it invested in sectors you think will see the greatest growth between now and retirement.

the dude and qlai like this.
  6. Cash is a hedge.

ALL hedges cost you money (like insurance)... until you REALLY need them!

(It would be interesting to learn how much money was "wasted" on put option buys.. hedges.. on the market during this manic rise...)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  7. qlai

qlai

Hedging is expensive. I may be selling CSP if volatility spikes or individual stocks get destroyed. This may naturally get me back in. But, cash is a position. Cash means I will have lots of dry powder if opportunity presents itself.

8. qlai

qlai

Well that’s also a form of trading

9. qlai

qlai

There’s no right or wrong because I am not measuring myself to any benchmark. But I know that if I loose all/most of the profits from the run from Covid lows, it will feel much worse than making additional money by staying invested.

VicBee and rb7 like this.
  10. lindq

lindq

If you have a long investment horizon, trying to time the market based on 'feelings' is a mistake you'll pay for years from now.

#10     Nov 19, 2021