Inexperienced router consumer in the market for a new home router, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by jmiles301, Jan 3, 2023.

1. I'm not necessarily having any issues with my current wifi router per se, but it was the stock modem/router combo that was given to me by CenturyLink a couple of years ago so I'm assuming that there's something better out there that I could be using to up the speed, I'm just not familiar with the specs and such for shopping around for one so thought I'd ask the community for suggestions.

Thanks,
    jm

2. Collagen

Collagen

Mikrotik

MarkBrown likes this.
  3. I'll check those out, thanks.

I guess I should clarify, I'm looking for a wifi router, I trade off my laptop these days, the router is in my office which isn't too far away so I don't necessarily need wide range, mainly looking for something with good speed.

4. ZBZB

ZBZB

Wifi 7 46gbps throughput

5. If you have Comcast in your area, you might give them a look. They advertise "highest internet speeds" (??) Up to 6Gbs, I think. Mine is 800Mbs (wired).... wifi up to 600Mbs in my environment. YMMV. They provide a "gateway"... modem/router combo.

6. Pekelo

Pekelo

The ISP's router is good enough for me, but depending on the size of your house, you may want to daisy chain a few routers (with ethernet cables) around the house for better receptions.

An old router in direct sight can be better than a new router behind 2 walls and a floor.

apdxyk, zdreg and spy like this.
  7. SunTrader

SunTrader

Arris (formerly Motorola) Surfboard SBG3800

8. Tokenz

Tokenz

Man, forget the router, and just wire it up directly to your computer if you want the fastest connection

ET180, MarkBrown and athlonmank8 like this.
  9. Wifi is almost always slower than when you connect your laptop to your router with a cable.
    If you truly want to know the wifi speeds you should check which 802.11 versions are supported by the router. This determines the maximum speed if your laptop is located next to the router. However, it also depends on which 802.11 versions are supported by your laptop. The slowest of the two (router, laptop) determines the maximum transfer speed.

jmiles301 likes this.
  10. SunTrader

SunTrader

OP starts off ... "I'm not necessarily having any issues ...)

Appears they just want to upgrade is all.

#10     Jan 4, 2023