Is anyone day trading with IB Portfolio margin account?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Risepoint1879, Mar 4, 2019.

1. I am curious what kind of margin they give portfolio accounts. Can't get a straight answer out of them because they always change it based on how risky they judge a stock to be, and how spread out your position is.

Is anyone doing this on a daily basis, going in an out of single stocks? Trying to see if they generally offer 6:1.

2. elt894

elt894

For some stocks they require higher margins, but for most large cap stocks it is 6:1. I think the margin is also higher if you concentrate everything in a few stocks. You can test it out in paper trading first.

Risepoint1879 likes this.
  3. Craig66

Craig66

What is the question?

Cdntrader likes this.
  4. qlai

qlai

I have PM. Trading AAPL only (no other positions), for example, it required 20% for initial margin. I believe it's 30% for shorts. You can use order entry to see what the requirement will be for the order.

Risepoint1879 likes this.
  5. Same for shorting?

6. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

That is high for PM as the OCC require 15% and we require 15% for DT and 18% overnight for accounts under $5mm.

7. elt894

elt894

That's what I'm seeing in my order preview window.

IB requires higher margin for something like your largest five positions (I forget the exact number).

8. d08

d08

It varies greatly. It can be 10:1 or more on low volatility ETFs, 6:1 for large caps, 1:1 for most biotechs and for quite a few with over 1bln cap less than 1:1.
    Last week I experienced liquidation with just over 1.3:1 margin, 6 equities and nothing with a cap below 1bln.

9. qlai

qlai

Right, the platform is showing me 15% Margin, but the Rep. said that that's the "up to" not what their algorithm will allow.

10. qlai

qlai

That sucks ... I believe they have some formula which they suggest to follow to avoid liquidation. Did you not follow it intentionally or just got a hair over it unintentionally? Just curious because for some strategies it's not a big deal, but for some it would be pretty bad.

#10     Mar 4, 2019