Is anyone successfully using MA crosses to trade?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by new2trading, Nov 25, 2002.

1. What is "someone" trading with his MA crosses? ETF's? Stocks? Futs?

V77

#31     Nov 26, 2002
  2. Moving averages are one [1] of the approximate 100 + things I watch and use to profit.

--------------------------------

New2;
    figure on moving averages helping your discretion with about 60 or 70 hours of study per week.

Read chapter 12 of Alan Farleys -Master Swing Trader[day or swing trade]:cool:

#32     Nov 26, 2002
  3. murrey,

speak of complicating things !

best,

surf::eek:

#33     Nov 26, 2002
  4. My system is similar. Trading with the trend. I have to take EVERY signal, it's the home-runs that really make this system work. Accuracy is about 52%. I diversify into several time periods to try and keep from being "chopped up."

#34     Nov 26, 2002
  5. i havent taken the time to check the chart - but if the price was whipping above and below the MA, then wouldnt the MA tend to be flat rather than rising? i believe, a rising MA is a component of the crossover strategy?

regards

#35     Nov 26, 2002
  6. One of the most powerfull indicators there is for longer term oriented folks is the 50 day simple moving average crossing up through the 200 day simple moving average. When that happens simultaneously with an increase in volume, you can buy it with a trailing stop and just let it go.

#36     Nov 26, 2002
  7. It is probably better to use one (200 Period MA) as an entry trigger and the other as a stop loss trigger.

Anyway, the same can be accomplished with breakout systems, they may even be better. I use breakout systems, 3 systems to diversify. They do a good job and when they all give signals on the same day, that may mean a major turning point has been approached. That's what happened on November 1st and November 20th, and I mean SP500 futures.

Sometimes because of a gap, only 2 of them give signals. This happened today and (for comparison) November 7th. So today I am having a good day, being up 12 pts with one of them and 5 pts with another. It is somewhat similar to MA systems: you have 'choppy' days (meaning false breakouts) and run-away days, like today. On the whole, the systems make money, and it's really good to have more than one so that you can diversify.

#37     Nov 26, 2002
  8. Hey !:(

I'm a changed man... as I've said in other threads, if I had the holy grail I would guard it with my life. My system is all about discipline. If you're interested I'd love to share ideas with you guys.

They way I see it, the more people I have trading with me the better. (more liquidity.) And there is already to much volume out there (ES) for all of ET combined to manipulate price for long.

Still I hesitate to post this to a public message board, PM or email me if you are interested.

#38     Nov 26, 2002

9. How many people talking about their systems tell you all the details. If they do, the systems are not so good and most likely have been in the public domain for a while. And I know for a fact that a system very similar to one of mine is being sold for $3,500. Except that mine is still better.:D

Today I am about to score over 25 ES pts with two systems. Sorry, but really good things are rarely free.

Mechanical systems are different from discretionary systems. I have no problem sharing my discretionary ideas and they can make you money too, but my mechanical systems are my intellectual property. Tough...

You see, some people sell their discretionary ideas for $800 (some Don Miller) and it is still you who does the main work.
    But when you have a mechanical system, it is the system that does the work, you basically don't have to do anything. Even a trained monkey could do that.

Well, the score is 16.25+9=25.25... almost perfect 25 ES pts.

#39     Nov 26, 2002
  10. That's unlike with my systems. They are all about clicking a few buttons. Then you can basically retire for the rest of the day.:D

Yes, you have to trust the system, but that's about all when it comes to the discipline.

#40     Nov 26, 2002