is it possible to start own fund these days?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by chipmunk, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Look day trading from home etc...isn't for me. In fact, trying to "beat the market", "gambling" isn't for me. I have tried it a few times and always end up hating it.

I am more of a 10-12% per annum, long stocks for the 4-12 month+ trends, low stress, low risk kind of guy. More like a Mutual/Pension fund.

So with that in mind....any hope of ever starting own fund? Or is that gig "done and dusted"?

Oh well, i may do other things in that case. Definitelay NOT day trading though.

Thank you:)

2. heech

heech

Not to be a wet blanket, but if you are 10-12% a year long/short equity guy.... Why you, instead of 5,000 other established managers out there? Why not invest with Ackman or Loeb or whoever?

But if you can answer that question convincingly, then sure, there's definitely the possibility.

3. ^^ I know..that's what I am asking? Is that game saturated?

I have no "argument here" I am no "super trader" or secrets etc....I simply follow trends and take low risks. :cool:

4. ^^ I know..that's what I am asking? Is that game saturated?

I have no "argument here" I am no "super trader" or secrets etc....I simply follow trends and take low risks. :cool:

I like an easy life. What can I say?:D

5. bln

bln

Don't stare yourself blind on percent return per annum. More important is your peak-to-valley draw-down in comparison to your annual return.

For example If the return is 10% and the max draw-down is 3% you can easily add 5x to 7x leverage and enjoy 50-70% annual returns. Max draw-down should generally be kept below 30%. If not experimenting with your own small 10k-20k account and don't mind risking 50% DD's.

6. heech

heech

What you are describing also sounds somewhat like a RIA to me.... You can certainly help clients plan / design / trade portfolios on an individual basis. As far as being a big manager investing a big pool of other peoples money.... probably not the way to go.

7. hftvol

hftvol

With all due respect you don't sound like the guy who could even break even in a year. I highly recommend you to instead focus on a, how did you word it, "low stress low risk" type of job, like car wash assistant or librarian. Male nurse may work as well there is huge demand in the market for nurses.

Dude get a life please, I never in my 13 years in finance heard of anyone who devoted his life to generating excess returns describing any aspect of this field as low stress or low risk. You really are in the wrong industry here pal.

8. heech

heech

Glad you wrote that with "all due respect".

Grow up.

9. Nope. Not for you.

10. LOL ok msybe I'll get ajob as a nurse instead..LOL

30%. No,no,no.....i doubt any inst. would look at you with those kind of drawdowns.

Wow all these super traders who beat the market year after year...wonder the "averages" don't actually increase due to so many beating them.

#10     Jan 31, 2013