Is the bookstore dead, or is AMZN just evil?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Oct 17, 2011.

Is Amazon going to drive B&N out of business?

1. Yes.

58 vote(s)
    56.9%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. I don't know.

10 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. I don't care.

14 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. nitro

nitro

"Amazon Signs Up Authors, Writing Publishers Out of Deal"

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44926222

I understand how this will benefit authors in the short term, since they are cutting out middle men, in theory. But are we all really going to buy our books from AMZN only? Barnes and Noble is the only bookstore chain left, and imo there should at least be one place where we can go and be exposed to a large number of books, sit and have a cup of coffee, read a newspaper, peruse and buy books.

We are creating the next AT&T.

2. In my experience, I can buy a book from Amazon at least 25% cheaper than a bookstore. They also offer free shipping and the package usually arrives within 2-3 days. I have no clue why anyone goes to bookstores anymore, except to read the material for free in the store I suppose.

piezoe likes this.
  3. Barnes & Noble is not exactly mom & pop.

Like Blockbuster, if they die, they die, no skin off my nose.

4. jd7419

jd7419

Same reason people go to bestbuy. Check out the tvs side by side then order through amazon with their 30 day no questions return policy. The amazon buying experience is just better than anywhere else for many items.

5. And with Amazon I have some confidence the buyer-submitted reviews aren't completely spiked.

6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Nitro, what is your favorite bookstore in Chicago?

7. spd

spd

I really like buying from Amazon, but for things like magazines, art books, etc I think the brick and mortar book stores will always be superior.

8. I've been predicting the end of print media since 1982. Maybe I'm a bit ahead of my time?:p
    I do think print media will die off, and little Mom and Pop book stores could spring up for those very few who just gotta have pages in their hands, or just like the way a bookshelf looks in their home for nostalgia.
    There are generations being born now who will associate books with nasty old skools, and never seek out anything printed on paper.
    They're too busy enjoying the current technology.
    Next comes holographic displays.:)

9. Why is that? Why not just go to the bookstore, browse around, pick what you want, then order from Amazon at a substantial discount?

10. spd

spd

I suppose thats a valid option, but I figure Ive already taken the time to go to the bookstore, found a few items Id like, just go ahead and take them home with me. Its kind of a social experience as well, my girlfriend and I like to go browse and purchase cool architecture books, travel books, art books together.

Just to be fair, despite all the warm and fuzzy bookstore stuff, I really love my Kindle DX. I think there is room for both.

#10     Oct 17, 2011