Is the bookstore dead, or is AMZN just evil?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Oct 17, 2011.

Is Amazon going to drive B&N out of business?

1. Yes.

58 vote(s)
    56.9%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. I don't know.

10 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. I don't care.

14 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. Whatever that model is, it will involve filters, because lets be frank, most books aren't worth reading.

The real value of publishers was in keeping most of the drek out of our way. If Amazon can do that, by crowd sourcing reviews or whatever, then they can eat the publishers lunch.

#31     Oct 17, 2011
  2. yeah, most books need to be condensed by 50-100x

#32     Oct 18, 2011
  3. #33     Oct 18, 2011
  4. yeah used to be amazon was great, it started selling just books, Bezos looked like a nice guy . It wasn't enough I guess to sell books, electronics, dvd, sporting goods, no it had to sell everything ! Now Amazon is just another big machine , customer service sucks, marketing is intrusive and annoying , it's on the road to being an evil company .

I used to be a fan , now looking for alternatives even if I have to pay extra. I also realize that they are destroying jobs and services at the community level. They are destroying the book business with Kindle as well, forcing publishers to agree to lower prices and AFAIK authors get a lot less on Kindle books, only betting on selling more units . Amazon markets agressively Kindle to be more of a tech company , compete with Apple and lift its stock price. As an aside I do not understand how e-readers can be so popular, it's horrible to read a book on a computer, if you lose a book no big deal if you lose or break your Kindle (these things like all electronics break all the time) , talk about an ordeal.
    Also the rsik of piracy has increased with the Kindle on your computer, what kind of protection do authors have ? I wonder.

Given the path amazon has taken being a responsible citizen today means BOYCOTTING amazon or at least reducing your dependency on it. I may still order from Amazon but I hate it.

#34     Oct 18, 2011
  5. In Canada I have had nothing but great experience with Amazon shipping. I've only bought books from them, but they've always arrived ahead of the scheduled time. Up to seven days, and sometimes the package arrives in two.

#35     Oct 18, 2011
  6. I agree regarding the Kindle. I just can't get into reading a book on a computer screen.

#36     Oct 18, 2011
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

Then they are not superstars... :)

But yes, selfpublishing is the future...

#37     Oct 18, 2011
  8. Daal

Daal

Yeah, how dare a corporation try to lower prices to benefit their consumers. Its not like their country is in quasi-recession with 9% unemployment

#38     Oct 18, 2011
  9. This shipping blunder started about 3 months ago, when was your latest order?

#39     Oct 18, 2011
  10. Amazon is very user friendly and has a large number of customer base. It offers thousands if not millions of products and has a well put together ordering system.There is also timely product delivery with amazon

#40     Oct 18, 2011