Is the bookstore dead, or is AMZN just evil?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Oct 17, 2011.

Is Amazon going to drive B&N out of business?

1. Yes.

58 vote(s)
    56.9%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. I don't know.

10 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. I don't care.

14 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. nitro

nitro

#71     Jan 5, 2012
  2. pookie

pookie

Oops, sorry...misread your other post. Looked at too quickly and thought it was book sales in general were down by that percentage...duh.

#72     Jan 5, 2012
  3. My kids were in Tae Kwon Do in a place next to a Borders. I used to read magazines and books while I was there, but I almost always bought a drink or a magazine. Obviously I was in the miniority even though they seemed to be fairly busy most of the time. I think Borders missed the boat in not making a deal to benefit them and Amazon when they sold through Amazon.
    Cripes I went in there during the fire sale and 2 of the people who I got to know came up to me and hug me while crying their eyes out. These were great sales people, but it didn't matter compared to the internet, but Borders was also killed prematurely by the morons who bought them, and had no clue about business.
    Too bad, I loved going into the bookstore, and I have bought much fewer in terms of books and magazines as a result. Half Price Books is where I go these days. I still like a hard copy, but I guess I am a relic.

#73     Jan 5, 2012
  4. zdreg

zdreg

bks down 25% today.
    borders might have survived if it was not leveraged to the hilt.
    'they seemed to be fairly busy most of the time."
    did u look at the lines at the cash registers?

#74     Jan 5, 2012
  5. B&N is great bookstore. Love to wile away hours there 3 or 4 times a week, reading and browsing. A real shame should they go out of business.

Have to admit though, I feel a bit guilty NOW because I realized I rarely buy anything there. :(

#75     Jan 5, 2012
  6. Banjo

Banjo

#76     Jan 5, 2012

7. Thanks for the link.

#77     Jan 5, 2012
  8. I've been an Amazon customer for years and right before Christmas I bought myself a kindle. Damn I love the thing. And I'm watching the computer much less and I think my eyes are becoming less stressed from less computer screen time. I see an article on the net I copy and paste into a word doc and email it to my kindle account, presto I have something to read at the doctors office or on the job waiting for a sub. I also have business documents on the kindle since it's always with me, so are my business paper work. The kindle is just too cool and as a side bonus I'm spending less time watching TV or browsing the net. So my vote is Amazon is good not evil, even though I didn't actually vote on the poll.

#78     Jan 27, 2012
  9. nitro

nitro

"The Bookstore’s Last Stand"

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46176893

I go into bookstores because they allow a mixture of reading, socializing where I can find other adults, a place to study and to mentor/coach. The thing that kills it for me is the annoying music. Music has no place in a bookstore, period. Ok, classical music is ok, but even here, the volume should be turned down.

I understand the idea that a bookstore is not a library. But it is better to be something to some people, than nothing to anyone at all. In a world where technology isolates us more and more, the bookstore is the last sanctuary where people can get together and chat in an intellectual atmosphere. Hopefully while they are there, they buy gift cards, toys, a drink and a pastry to go with it, and of course, books.

#79     Jan 29, 2012
  10. This is the time of the indie bookstores...B&N will die eventually - nobody can sustain a megastore with boostore margins and people shopping picking up girls and browsing what to buy online....however the small bookstore is back....

#80     Jan 30, 2012