Is the bookstore dead, or is AMZN just evil?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Oct 17, 2011.

Is Amazon going to drive B&N out of business?

1. Yes.

58 vote(s)
    56.9%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. I don't know.

10 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. I don't care.

14 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. nitro

nitro

#81     Jan 30, 2012
  2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Within 7 years, B&N will have sold all of their physical locations to a business in a different industry.

For example, those locations have good square footage and would make great Gold's Gyms.

#82     Jan 30, 2012
  3. Ha! What's the future of the book store if the future of the library is not books?

I have two thoughts. One is money, continuing funding a library with public and more likely lots of private money is based on something "new" and that is anything but books.

My second thought is, in the grand scheme of the USA is the continued deconstruction of everything disgiused as progress in the name of the 21 st century.

------------------------

Is moving 3 million books out of the main branch of the New York Public Library really the way to a better future?

The NYPL’s main branch, the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building, is poised to undergo its most radical renovation in decades. The cornerstone of the Central Library Plan is the relocation of more than 3 million books housed under the iconic Rose Reading Room — many of which will be exiled to Princeton, NJ.

NYPL President Anthony Marx says the chief idea behind the Central Library Plan is the desire to “replace books with people,” since “that’s the future of where libraries are going.”

Lyin’ in wait . . . for computer users: The NYPL believes pulling 3 million books from its flagship branch will somehow help attract more patrons.
    Actually, he’s not replacing books with people but with computers — which are, the logic goes, irresistible magnets for eager new readers, who are apparently disenfranchised from the library by the space devoured by those darn books.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinio...he_books_oDxySVxpjFR0raBsUeNQEP#ixzz1l8Y2QIk1

---------------

#83     Feb 1, 2012
  4. If the written book is DOA, we'll see!

I'm waiting for the demise of the college text book industry. Ya think those progressives woud be the first to ditch a book.

As far as high school. There is a mish mash of rules with text books I am unable to figure out. Kids who are issued text books, in some classes are not allowed to take them home. Some classes have text books but never use them, they use hand out sheets.When My daughter (10th grade) needs help, I ask "Where's the book?" There is no book.

#84     Feb 1, 2012
  5. Maybe the B&M school will become an anachronism.

If you're not motivated to do the work, "going" to school is more of a waste of time and social gathering.

If you are motivated, you can probably get a better education for free online these days...

For college... in addition to the traditional degree route, there should be some sort of tests to show competence from self-education efforts... passing/excelling on such tests should be worth as much as a college degree.

#85     Feb 1, 2012
  6. Stop-motion video shows books at play after the bookshop owner has gone

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SKVcQnyEIT8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#86     Feb 1, 2012
  7. #87     Feb 7, 2012
  8. One thing to consider. if u buy a paper book, u can let someone borrow it..
    you cant do that with a kindle..

next. is the most important.. u can sell a used book.. ha ha. u can't do that on a kindle.. so in effect, the ebook concept is tieing the book for life to you. point to ponder.

i am a big time kindle 3 user. surprisingly i am using it to read plain text, ie. at work I have to read thru a lot of emails,pdf documnets etc.. i just convert them to a notepad text file and read away..

the kindle 3 is much EASIER on the eyes. u can read in bright sunlight.
    i like to get away from my computer screens. I am surrounded by 3 monitors for 10 hours a day.. and then we come home and watch more TV. ipad. .. iphone.. we have gotten screen crazy... OVERLOADED..

#88     Feb 9, 2012
  9. I swear my eyes have gotten better since I've gotten the kindle. Spending less time on the computer and with tv and most of all when I'm out instead of spending all the time staring at my iPhone, now I'm reading my kindle.

#89     Feb 9, 2012
  10. Actually I can lend my book to someone else, even legally.

On resale of books, I never got much for the ones I took to the book exchanges. And given the saving on kindle vs paper books that probably makes up that gap anyway and then some.

#90     Feb 9, 2012