Is Trading Worth the Effort?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Corallus, Jul 26, 2003.

1. It seems to me that trading is indeed one of the hardest careers out there and few are consistently profitable at it. That said, is it worth the effort, time, monetary loss, and frustration it takes to succeed at trading?

2. nkhoi

nkhoi

worth to the last penny and then some :D

3. prox

prox

Once you climb the top of the learning curve peak , the walk downhill is much easier.

Most people fall to their deaths trying to climb up.

4. I think gaining enlightenment is the ultimate challenge but trading is a close second.

5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

If you enjoy it, yes. If you don't, no. But either way, I can think of few occupations that will teach you more about yourself than trading.

I can't remember what trader it was who said that if you want enlightenment, you can go to India and sit in a cave for three years, or you can trade the S&P futures.

6. "I can't remember what trader it was who said that if you want enlightenment, you can go to India and sit in a cave for three years, or you can trade the S&P futures."

Well said.

Mark Douglas mentions something about a sincere attempt at trading as being the quickest way to bring to surface your inner beliefs.

regards,

Bruce Hawkins

7. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Depends in large part on the willingness of the trader to assume the responsibility for the outcome of his trades. There are many people who would rather go bankrupt than deal with, for example, fear. They'd much prefer to blame the market. At some point they can then emerge unscathed, though considerably poorer. After all, they did their best. It was the market.

8. I just saw "The Color of Money" last night, and I really liked the quote "Money won is twice as sweet as money earned".

So true I believe. (Not to imply that I'm gambling or that hard work isn't involved)... but there's certainly a sport to what we do.

9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Even in sports, you don't become a consistent winner without preparation and a lot of practice.

10. ramora

ramora

Sammy Sneed, the all time golf great, when asked 'what is the fastest way to learn golf?' replied, "Play for $100 a stroke!"

The fastest way to learn about yourself; trade the S&P!

#10     Jul 26, 2003