It’s 2008. The U.S. Has Dragged the World into a Depression.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by SouthAmerica, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Cesko

Cesko

Now I am absolutely sure that guy SA is deranged. I believe he truly thinks people are gonna buy his response. No sense of reality. SA find a psychiatrist.

#41     Apr 14, 2008
  2. #42     Apr 14, 2008
  3. .

April 14, 2008

SouthAmerica: I posted this answer in response to a comment on the other thread about the exodus, but this answer it is more relevant to this thread.

For some reason most Americans think that there is only one way for the price of everything which is up – for stocks, houses, and so forth.

They think that we live on a linear world, and when this linear mentality reach the point where the real dynamic world catches up with La La Land and want to adjust to reality, then the pundits on CNBC and in other mainstream media start panicking and they don’t give a chance to let things find a more realist level and make the proper corrections.

They almost force the Fed to cut the fed funds rate, and even scare the Fed into a massive bailout of a failed institution. And in a way they just compound the problems even further for the future.

I am not afraid of a Great Depression, because I understand why they happen about every 70 to 80 years – they are just part of the long term business cycles, and their purpose is to adjust all the pieces of the global economy that are completely out of sink with reality.

People can place its problems under the carpet and think that the house it is clean, but that works only so far, after a certain point you have a big mess – that’s when the entire house of cards comes down and you end up with a Great Depression; and the linear thinking crashes against reality.

The Great Depression develops and try to adjust all the cumulative excesses built over a long period of time and things that are completely out of balance – it is a period of major economic and financial adjustments.

I don’t know why most people are so afraid of the inevitable: a New Great Depression.

#43     Apr 14, 2008
  4. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Congrats asshole, you made my ignore list.

#44     Apr 14, 2008
  5. toc

toc

''To this day someone like Bill Clinton or Al Gore can travel around the world and most people would receive these guys with open arms and they are highly respected everywhere they go – they are truly Statesman and they represent the best the United States has offer.''

Although Billy and Al did lots of good work to revive the US power and even for the third world but one thing they stand to be blamed for is 911.

The logic being: If they had taken to some sensible and humane approach towards the Iraqi people and their suffering under Saddam's regime, then 1.5M Iraqis would have not died over the course of 10 years and there would not have been such bitterness in Islamic world which would result in 911 type attack. Up until 1998, Iraq was totally starved of basic food, medicine and daily home utilities. Only after 1998, Oil for Food program was put into effect.

Also, Clinton did not do enough to smash AQ in Afganistan and break their infrastructure by repeated bombings and missile strikes. Clinton also, all along coddled Pakistan and its terrorist designs against India and second layered and more evil designs against the Western nations which showed up in the form of 911. 75% blame for 911 goes to Pakistan. AQ was just the front face.

Clinton thought he would play selfish politics while getting oral service in the WH Library and result is US is in a mess. GWB takng to WH and attacking Iraq in 2003 was no help either.

#45     Apr 14, 2008
  6. trendlover: Tell me honestly why you choose to live in the US and not Brazil?

SouthAmerica: I already answered that question in detail on this forum.

The short answer is: because of the traffic in Sao Paulo.

Curitiba Brazil has very little congestion, great transportation infrastructure..why not live there?

#46     Apr 14, 2008
  7. I lived in Jericoaracoara for half a year. No traffic. Hardly any cars, mostly just dune buggies (no asphalt, sand streets).

Crap internet though so trading is tough. Good cheap living and fun as hell. Talk about hot women! Wow.

#47     Apr 14, 2008
  8. Mvic

Mvic

#48     Apr 14, 2008
  9. Yes, traffic isn't why people leave their homeland. :)

#49     Apr 14, 2008
  10. .

Mvic: Americans don't have a monopoly on debt and over consumption

April 14, 2008

SouthAmerica: Reply to Mvic

Your article is talking about consumer debt.

Now the US government has an accumulated outstanding debt approaching US$ 10 trillion dollars plus new liabilities that are coming due to the tune of US$ 70 trillion dollars.

The states in the US also have an extra US$ 2 trillion dollars in outstanding debt.

These numbers don’t include the open guaranties given by the US government that it can generate very quickly a fresh number of trillion dollars in new liabilities to the system. (The Pension Benefits Guaranty is the place where major American corporations dump their pension systems that is in trouble – and this is just one example of these open US government guaranties that can cost a fortune in the coming years.)

Very soon the United States will need to change the words on its currency instead of saying “In God we trust” the new notes should say “In Foreign Lenders we trust”.

When a country is borrowing an average of 89 percent of global savings year after year that at least it would give some recognition to the foreigners who are keeping the US economy afloat.

#50     Apr 14, 2008