Japan Spirals into Bankruptcy?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by observer67, Nov 4, 2009.

1. fhl

fhl

Reports are that Japan is set to undergo discussions on the possibility of more monetary stimulus. Because the previous stimulus has worked so well?

And zerohedge is reporting that Canada has sold off half of their gold reserves in recent weeks.
    Good timing? lol

#291     Feb 12, 2016
  2. m22au

m22au

Thanks for your post fhl. Do you have a link for an article that discusses the reports of Japan considering more stimulus?

#292     Feb 12, 2016
  3. ktm

ktm

I'd want to see it from a more reputable source than zerohedge. Japan will be interesting to watch.

#293     Feb 12, 2016
  4. fhl

fhl

I don't have a link. I just read it somewhere this morning.

#294     Feb 12, 2016
  5. ktm

ktm

Found more on the gold selling in Canada. They have 82B in total reserves and sold about 80M in gold to reduce their gold holdings from 100M to 20M.

The amount of funds involved is incredibly minor.

#295     Feb 12, 2016
  6. fhl

fhl

Kuroda to bondholders: the beatings will continue until morale improves.

#296     Feb 13, 2016
  7. fhl

fhl

The asset allocation of Canada's central bank is the point.

Canada sells off most of its gold reserves
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gold-canada-reserves-1.3443700

Canada, one of the world's largest gold mining countries, holds almost no gold in central bank reserves.

"The government has a long-standing policy of diversifying its portfolio by selling physical commodities (such as gold) and instead investing in financial assets that are easily tradable and that have deep markets of buyers and sellers,"

At current levels, our gold holdings amount to less than 0.1 per cent of the $82.6 billion US that Canada has in official international reserves.

The U.S., by comparison, had 8,133 tonnes of gold (261.5 million troy ounces) as of the end of 2015, according to the World Gold Council, worth almost $300 billion US. That amounted to more than 72 per cent of its total foreign reserves.

---------

Gold at the ready in it's own country and yet prefers to hold currencies, because the market for them is deep.

I'll say they're deep. Central banks print them up like hotcakes.

Sorry to all the Canadians on here that your central bank is that nutty.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    #297     Feb 13, 2016
  8. m22au

m22au

#298     Mar 22, 2016
  9. m22au

m22au

#299     Mar 23, 2016
  10. m22au

m22au