jnbadger's bad day

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jnbadger, Sep 20, 2021.

1. That's the Million dollar Question everyone wants to know -- the Future. The key, Vital, component of trading.

If someone doesn't have a high, reasonable, certain degree of Expectation...they are just basically gambling on red or black on the rOulette Wheel.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    #11     Sep 20, 2021
  2. Overnight

Overnight

WRONG. A lot of major stocks are what make the SP move. The SP is simply a mirror reflection of a lot of stocks.

But what do you know, you trade simple puts and calls in options.

#12     Sep 20, 2021
  3. You are an angry, defensive, touchy man -- with everyone on this forum. Do you live on a diet of Coffee and Churros and minimal sleep,
    Another day of red across the board on your trading holdings,

#13     Sep 20, 2021
    formikatrading likes this.
  4. Overnight

Overnight

But I have conviction in my holdings. That comes from the benefit of experience.

#14     Sep 20, 2021
  5. JSOP

JSOP

Day trading is very very difficult and really not worth it IMO. You either swing trade or scalp if you have really developed a niche trading system for it. Day trading is really like being caught between a rock and a hard place. You are missing all the small pip-by-pip profits from scalping and yet the TF is not long enough for me to catch the large profit from the buy-and-hold swing trading. If you don't have a niche trading system to scalp, it's better to swing trade.

My 2 cents.

#15     Sep 21, 2021
    Handle123, Nobert and formikatrading like this.
  6. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Re opportunity cost, when daytrading (I do most days, up to 70 RTs) I skip counter-S&P trend trades. unless there's an exceptionally volatile chart, most trades align with market trend, for 2- to 5-minute rts.

So if the market's selling off I seldom take a long breakout stock play, or if I do it's lighter size.

Similarly, on up market days I trade inverses like UVXY lightly if at all.

#16     Sep 21, 2021
  7. kmiklas

kmiklas

You're a good trader, a very good trader, but you got tired.

Take a day off and reflect. It sounds to me like you're getting a little burned out. Go out hiking.

#17     Sep 21, 2021
    jnbadger likes this.
  8. I feel like semi-automation on days you are felling like trading badly could delete your weakness, you could still put the trigger manually. Days like these happen once to twice a month to me. Mostly when my fiance has a bad day at work. I then do exactly that - trade semi-automated. Manually entered stoplevels, that are fixed so I can't adjust/make errors

#18     Sep 21, 2021
  9. jnbadger

jnbadger

Well, Tuesday wasn't as bad, but I had one small loser and called it an early day. I started to feel the same as I did on Monday.

Wednesday was good, but not great.

No trades yesterday. Had other stuff going on.

And between Wednesday and today, I feel like I got my mojo back. They're not the numbers I'm used to, but it feels good to start the week with two frustrating days (financially and emotionally), and finish with a nice day and be up a few hundred on the week while trading very very small. I'll gradually press harder on the accelerator next week.

Like I said before, it's all about risk management. Mathematically AND emotionally.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and comments.

And kmiklas, it's pretty wet out today, but we are headed for a beautiful weekend, and I will definitely do some hiking in the field and in the woods with a 25lb weighted vest. :)

#19     Sep 24, 2021
    beginner66 likes this.
  10. jnbadger

jnbadger

One more thing to put it in perspective. My dad was a Marine, and I'm a huge fan of war movies. I'm watching youtube clips of Fury. What a fucking nightmare.

We don't have anyone shooting at us as traders. We might have friends who lose, but they find other jobs. And they don't die. And they move on.

When I have a bad day, I bitch to myself too much, and I post it online. But that's because of accountability.

I missed 2 perfect trades on Friday because I didn't think they would work. I hesitated. That's like not shooting at the enemy because you might miss. They would have been great trades. This analogy is applicable because a loss to me is like a missed shot.

I keep my losses so tight that I can look at it like hunting. If I miss a big deer, it costs me a bullet. If I get one, I get wonderful tasting venison summer sausage for a year.

That's how I trade. Some guys in the past told me I was way too tight with my risk. None of them are still in the game. I don't even want to bring up Brokercheck with these guys. Just shaking my head. Lots of infractions.

I'm still in the game with a 57 and a pro firm.

(And I just want to be clear that I am not selling anything. This is just my experience).

#20     Sep 25, 2021