Kooks of the trading world?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by reinghar, May 14, 2020.

1. ironchef

ironchef

After abacus, mechanical calculator, then TI, HP, then Wang. Those were the good old days.

A good friend, who traded options in the 70s, said it was much easier to make money on options then if you knew some maths and understood arbitrage.

#11     May 14, 2020
    reinghar likes this.
  2. panzerman

panzerman

The upside to Ehlers' work is that he tries to apply well understood science and engineering principles to market analysis. The downside (as some see it), anything from the world of physics applied to finance data is a misapplication of the physics.

Ehlers models market data as a complex waveform with lots of additive noise, pink noise to be more specific. How well does the model fit reality? That is for you to decide.

#12     May 14, 2020
    ironchef likes this.
  3. #13     May 14, 2020
    vanzandt and reinghar like this.
  4. guru

guru

Well, don't know about that, but in his own works, it took him only 3 weeks to become the #1 day trader in the country. Who else can claim such a feat?
    And who else had even come close to accomplishing everything He did?!
    I'm sure his 1.3 million Twitter followers can vouch for every one of his accomplishments, including those he hasn't accomplished yet.

upload_2020-5-14_16-30-31.png

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    #14     May 14, 2020
  5. reinghar

reinghar

Doesn't it feel like his most important skill isn't trading, but publicity?

#15     May 14, 2020
  6. reinghar

reinghar

I have been suckered in by the really clean scientific idea that you could apply mathematical models to finance, but I'm typically disappointed in practice.

Although I feel like the Fourier transform would have merit, it would have to detect signals that are accelerating / decelerating. We don't seem to have signals that are stable in the same way as a radio signal would be. I'm not clear on if this is possible with the mathematics we have today, but I'm sure that's a limitation of my education, so I'd be happy to be enlightened.

#16     May 14, 2020
  7. reinghar

reinghar

It almost feels like the practice of charting by hand would be useful for increasing your feel for the market somehow.

#17     May 14, 2020
  8. guru

guru

Not at all, no one would follow him if he didn’t provide amazing value either. But his followers have sense of humor so it’s definitely not for you.

#18     May 14, 2020
  9. No shit

#19     May 14, 2020
  10. ph1l

ph1l

The Hilbert-Huang transform (empirical mode decomposition followed by Hilbert transform) is something you might want to investigate.

Here is a good overview:
    Lecture 12-13 Hilbert-Huang Transform
    https://cseweb.ucsd.edu/classes/sp14/cse291-b/notes/HHT.pdf

And for more details

#20     May 14, 2020
    reinghar and ironchef like this.