Life Strategy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lobster, Oct 12, 2003.

1. This is really helping me. It is amazing that ET not only contains some of the finest traders, but it seems that for every question I could possibly be interested in, there is someone here who can teach me something. I wish schools were like this.

ShoeshineBoy, the music you suggested does not seem to be the easiest or least painful way to get me somewhere, but I can tell you that reading the lyrics has definitely evoked an emotional reaction. Understanding music as a drug is probably a very fruitful approach. Maybe I should go back to school and try to find out exactly what it is about music that can influence the brain in such a way and what mechanism it uses.

#11     Oct 13, 2003
  2. I can tell you that music was one of the things that has gotten me through this last couple of years which were without a doubt the most emotionally painful of my life. I think it's no secret that I come from a Christian perspective, so I listen to a lot of that kind of music. But the same principle would apply no matter what viewpoint you come from. At least speaking for myself, one powerful song can effect me for an entire day. I am very emotionless compared to most people, but music allows to purge all the stuff that I hold inside. Kids understand this instinctively and don't even try to take away their music....

#12     Oct 13, 2003
  3. Music education uses it all quite frequently to alter moods and enhance learning and for "music therapy" - it's one of the new things - but like you I have no idea as to the clinical basis for what they do.

Also, you said that you are person considering faith. In the Bible music is HUGE. If you have any interest, pm me and I'll send a few examples. If not, no big deal...

#13     Oct 13, 2003
  4. learn how to play guitar. one of the best things i do...no matter what mood i'm in.

#14     Oct 14, 2003
  5. I've always wanted to learn how to play the guitar. How long will I need to practice before I can play Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeplin?

#15     Oct 14, 2003
  6. bronks

bronks

Drop a few tabs and you'll be scaling it in about 6.5 seconds.

#16     Oct 14, 2003
  7. the beginning of "stairway to heaven" is not that hard at all to play. the solo, on the other hand...

i started off playing drums, then i got a guitar when i was like 16. i also play bass.

the first real thing i learned was the beginning of "welcome home (sanitarium)" by metallica. after that, i learned the intro to "sweet child o' mine" by GNR. it took me a lot of practice, but i had that down after a few days. however, i already had the basics down at that point--like how to play notes, etc.

anyone who wants to play guitar, i suggest you just start learning parts of songs you like. you'll learn what people are doing. eventually you will develop your own style. i don't really play other people's music anymore. now i pretty much just make up my own stuff.

i have 2 electric guitars and 1 acoustic. electric is EASILY my favorite, though. my amp RULES!! i can get pretty much any sound i want out of it. i have a 4x12" marshall cabinet, a rocktron velocity power amp, and a digitech 2120 pre amp.

#17     Oct 14, 2003
  8. Why in the hell do you want to sit behind a screen trading stocks when you could be a rock star and getting laid every night while smoking the best dope and getting paid for it all????????

#18     Oct 14, 2003
  9. it's hard to find the right people. i've even gone around putting up ads all over the place. every time i've tried to start bands, the people either weren't good or we didn't play the same type of music. it isn't easy to find a bunch of people who are good, play the same music, and can practice & play out regularly. people have jobs, school, etc. i'm not saying it can't be done, but it is extremely frustrating. i still do keep trying, though. every time i go to a party i ask guys if they play an instrument or something.

band or no band, i'm still going to trade during the day, though.

#19     Oct 14, 2003
  10. GG,

Thanks for the tip. I should have mentioned: I never learned any instrument, but I play several. Kind of. It always takes me a couple of months to learn a new song. Maybe that's what I should do this weekend. The one problem with this is that once I get into it, I play whenever I have time, sometimes all day and all night, and that often hurts my hands. Ever since I learned to solve the Rubik's cube in under 40 seconds, my thumbs have had this deep inner pain...

#20     Oct 14, 2003