Life Strategy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lobster, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Cutten

Cutten

"If I do exactly what my genes want me to do, I will have dozens of bastards who will leech off of the social(ist) system that has been well established in the US."

Incorrect - you can use contraception, or poke your john thomas into different parts of the female anatomy.

"Now the problem is, every little bit of what we call happiness is really nothing but our genes rewarding us for an action that is likely to further their goals."

I disagree. Sailing into a force 9 storm, powersliding a RWD car at 100mph, enjoying a refreshing pint of beer, big game hunting, bluffing a big pot in poker with complete garbage, adventuring in foreign lands, scoring a huge winning year at trading, or laughing at a good joke have nothing to do with procreation or genetic success.

The appeal of such activities may well have atavistic genetic origins, but they no longer do anything to enhance survival - quite the opposite in many cases.

My advice is to think of what you would do if you were diagnosed with a terminal illness and given 6 months to live. Then do it now, albeit tempered with the risk control appropriate for a higher life expectancy.

Finally, if doing it now proves difficult due to laziness or procrastination, try the "5 minute rule" - spend 5 minutes each trying to advance towards each important goal, and if that 5 minutes turns into something longer, all the better.

#21     Oct 14, 2003
  2. Oh but it does! Let me take the example of gambling in general (including a huge bluff): It has been determined that given the choice to receive a constant food supply or gamble double or nothing, rats choose gambling. How do I explain this behavior? It works like this: Let's say we have a rat population where half of the idividuals have genes that tell them to go slow and steady, while the others gamble. In good times, that is, when there is enough food to sustain the rats, the steady rats will reproduce slightly better, because some of the gamblers will starve (the unlucky ones). But if you have just one month of "bad times", where the food available to each rat is only half of what would be necessary to sustain it, ALL the steady rats will starve, but a few of the gamblers (the lucky ones) will survive. After that month, our whole rat population will have the gambling genes. This is exactly the reason why all the animals alive today are gamblers in the real world.

Maximizing one's genes' reproductive success does not constrain itself to inseminating a woman. If you are interested in these thoughts, there is a whole field of mathematics that deals with it. It is called game theory.

I realize that you can argue that humans do certain things that are not a consequence of their genes trying to maximize their reproductive success, but the more you analyze human behavior, the more you will realize that if such things exist, they are few and far between. Basically the only thing I have not explained genetically, is music (and art of any kind).

Keep in mind: If you sacrifice your life to save your sister's children, you are doing this in order to maximize the reproductive success of your genes. Sure, your sperm will not produce any offspring, but your sister shares 50% of your genes, and that is all that matters to your genes. They don't care about you, they are cruel masters. And this is a very simple example. Not only does your sister share in your genes, the people close to you are more likely to share genes with you than ones farther away, and tehre are many ways to maximize an idividual's genes' reproductive success. Surviving long, looking good, killing competition, aiding individuals that you can expect to further your genes' reproductive success, are all ways to work toward that goal of your genes. If you keep all this in mind and think about the actions we take, you will find explanations for many things you find enjoyable.

I like your 5 minute rule. Thank you very much for your post.

#22     Oct 14, 2003
  3. Lobster, I will give you my thoughts. My best friend sounds a lot like you. A very smart/deep thinker. It's sometimes his downfall even because he see's a tree more then it really is. I am a nurse and have extensive biology backround/ reproduction theory. I am a christian and know some religious thought.

Here it goes- Genes do not matter as much as some people say. I remember someone telling me how dna enhanced people would one day rule all. Sure they might have a start, but that's not the finish. Example- I had a dear friend who was 6' even. Great body, a genuis IQ, perfect face and clear blue eyes (he was a model). I used to be so jealous of him (there was not a girl who did not want to date him). Yet now he's heavier, poor, no colledge education etc. His girlfriend is only average even. Also how does some one with downs syndrome graduate college? It's the human will that determines us, not are genes. The genes are only a foundation and not the actual building.

Religion- I am sorry that you had a bad experience. Find someone who knows God and just try to understand that God loves you regardles.

As with sex and reproducing this is not totally true. Having children is great. I have 2 myself (2yrand 3yr). I am now a father. It gives me more joy then anything I have ever felt. If you want children then I would say get married and it's a rewarding experience. If sex is what your after (without the kids then don't worry either). There is ways ie. condoms and birthcontrol to help you. Remember that all men feel this. It's a drive and it's normal (even I feel it and I'm married).

As with music, even the bible talks about it as being awesome. God is supposed to have people singing to him night and day. If you need someone to talk to just PM me. I would hate for you to continue with your current conflected self. It's very hard on you emotionally and physically and not good for trading.

One trick I learned was to always spend a couple minutes (ie. in the shower) saying thank you for everything you have, that you are, your friends, family etc. So you will always be happy where you are even if you want to keep climbing the ladder. This one trick has helped me in all aspects of my life. If you just do this I can almost promise an immidiate brighter existance.

#23     Oct 14, 2003

4. Before you start accepting visions as God's will, you need to study the Bible and evaluate that vision against His Word. The Bible warns of false prophets and the deceits and lies of the devil. And who are you to be angry at God for the consequences of your own actions?

We have primal instincts, but what separates us from animals is that we also have the ability to reason and control our instincts. We have the gift of free will. We can exercise that free will to accept Christ as our Savior, or we can reject Him and live in the flesh. There are consequences to either choice.

#24     Oct 14, 2003
  5. I never understood why I can't have a relationship with God outside of accepting Jesus as the messiah. If Jesus = God = Holy Spirit, then by accepting God, then I automatically accept eveything that he is.

Why must I accept Jesus to be close to god? I don't believe Jesus is the messiah -- there has been no messiah on Earth in my opinion.

However, I do believe in God.

#25     Oct 14, 2003
  6. sounds like a bunch of bunk to me. =[

#26     Oct 14, 2003
  7. I'm not trying to get into a religious debate, however I think the question you pose goes to the difference between the Jewish and Christian religions.

#27     Oct 14, 2003
  8. Yeah, you're right. I just never understood the whole "you're going to hell if you don't accept Jesus as your saviour" arguement.

So cutting to the chase, does the Pope believe all Jews will burn in hell?

#28     Oct 14, 2003
  9. no one ever has or ever will go to hell. as for the pope, who cares what he thinks. he's just a regular human being like i am. I AM AS CLOSE TO "GOD" AS THE POPE.

#29     Oct 14, 2003
  10. Nicely said. If I didn't know any better I would swear you're a Lutheran.

#30     Oct 14, 2003