Looking for Advice

Discussion in 'Trading' started by rarefarefroghorn, Oct 30, 2021.

1. Oh, so you're a liar as well as a gambling addict. Got it.

By the way: it takes wit to do sarcasm well, and you're very short in that department. But that's no surprise, since losers typically lose all across the board...

Go ahead and give it another sad-ass attempt. I won't be reading or responding, but you might as well keep on with it; that 14-year losing streak isn't going to get itself done.

#31     Nov 1, 2021
    p0box4 likes this.
  2. Fonz

Fonz

I was wondering why OP just posted once..

#32     Nov 1, 2021
  3. Can you point to any things in statistics or recommend anything where I can learn what is important to apply in trading. I do know some programming.

What defines a proper education, can you give me an outline or a starting place on what I need to learn for trading? Also what resources I would need to know how the market works.

Can you give a reason why it is a 50/50? Or point to something that will allow me to tell if my trading is 50/50.

Do you have a place to start to learn about these topics? I feel as if I look up these topics I do not know where to start. Also can you give me examples of jobs that will allow me to be near traders or just people in general that are into. Also I have viewed your elitetrader school thread.

Well I do not know if I have a winning system anymore. From the post above people speculate that I am doing a coin flip. I have never backtested because I do not know how to get the data from online sources, unless you pay for the data.

I did have one, but I did not do it for the time when I started with 1k. The 1k situation was when I told myself I would reduce my size to 1 contract and follow my plan. Before I had around 15k, but pulled out after a series of big wins and 1 large loss to rethink things.

Thanks. Since I appreciate the information.

I do think my problem might be risk management but I also do not know if I have a winning system anymore. At least statistically I do not know. I will reevaluate everything.

Honestly I saw the answers to my call for help but it hurts. When you put 4years in and people say you have nothing. So I took some time off before I viewed this again, so my ego wouldn't affect my attitude towards people who want to help me. It really is painful though.

Also sorry for my grammar. I will probably view the answers you guys post but I will take some time to think about them. Again I appreciate it.

rarefarefroghorn

#33     Nov 1, 2021
    Raheel Shaikh and persistence like this.
  4. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

https://akunacapital.teachable.com/

Start here. If you do well, they'll invite you for an interview. Be aware that the stuff is not easy although it's only the 101. But at least you know which direction you have to look for.
    Professional trading is all about replicating cashflows to find edge in price vs. value no matter where you look.
    A fundamentally oriented fund might figure out the value of an asset through sheer research power ("the big short") a market maker might only be interested in queue position.

Learn the math, learn the instruments, trading rules and stop guessing. Then you might have a carreer.

An example:

1. If the corporate bond trades at 80cts on the dollar and the market cap of the company's share float is 0.5 times its cash position, can you make money from this and how would you structure a trade?

2. If a 100$ stock is under short sale restriction and the 100$ option combo for 30 days trades 50 cts below cash, can you make money with that information? Where are the risks?

#34     Nov 1, 2021
    yc47ib and longandshort like this.
  5. This.

Other career opportunities are working for an investment bank or broker/dealer as a trader.

I’ll post some links to investment resources in a bit.

#35     Nov 1, 2021
  6. https://www.khanacademy.org/math/statistics-probability
    Khan academy is great for learning this kind of stuff, I have learned many things thanks to it.

Learn these two
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curve_fitting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overfitting

Good luck, I hope you make it. Just asking here shows that you want to improve and willingness to change. Creativity isn't about being genius, it's about persistence, that's where my username comes from. I've persisted and eventually made it.

#36     Nov 1, 2021
  7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I like brain teasers.

no to 2 assuming stock doesn’t pay divs.

what’s the answer to 1? Buy stock and short the bond? But no info on float of bond to market cap so you can’t determine recovery rates.

#37     Nov 1, 2021
  8. padutrader

padutrader

i live to trade and not give pointless personal insults....just because you are a loser does not mean you insult people.

#38     Nov 1, 2021
  9. padutrader

padutrader

you fuclking bastard that is 14 year learning period...something you never learned so you do not trade

#39     Nov 1, 2021
  10. kmiklas

kmiklas

Let's say you want to win on 3 out of 5 trades (60%), or maybe 4 out of 7 (57%). The basis for your trading is just looking at timeframes and prices on chart. Pretty much everyone is doing that--including the soul-less algorithms that hedge funds run. You might get lucky here and there, and win 51 out of 100 trades, but you're not doing anything to give you a real advantage.

As a comparative example, let's look at a simple pair trade. Take two tickers that are highly correlated: such as gold/silver, General Motors/Ford, or AT&T/Verizon. Now you have additional information, instead of just price movement on one instrument, you now have two--and a measure of comparison. This give you a bit of an edge. You can expand this in different ways; perhaps add everyone's favorite, Tesla, into the mix. Now you're comparing three correlated tickers. You can add countless other influencers, with correlation coefficients, both market data and non-market.

To make a few analogies:
    • Chess: you're going for a 4-step checkmate. It will work here and there, but it's not very saavy.
    • Baseball, you're trying to throw a strike with a 50mph fastball.
    • Football: You're running a 6.0 40.
    Imagine a trade where you had a machine that told you, with p=0.75, which way $SPY would swing tomorrow morning. Now that would be a great advantage! You have to work hard to gain this insight and see these opportunities.

That's why we think you're just flipping coins. This style isn't really compelling.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    #40     Nov 1, 2021
    sandy_s likes this.