Macys

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by vanzandt, Oct 26, 2017.

1. vanzandt

vanzandt

(M)
    $21.10
    Back in August the CEO, Jeff Gennette, stated that the dividend was safe. He's not the kind of CEO that would say something like that and then go back on it.

Anybody who's followed Sears Holding should see huge value in Macys.
    SHLD has dragged out their demise for several years, and it still pops from time to time on the real estate value.

Macys is not gonna die. At this price you're getting the business for free. A business with excellent FCF and a 7% dividend.

I like Macys. They have nice clothes.

hajimow likes this.
  2. SHLD is probably a good example here. Be on the lookout for them using all that nice real estate to shackle shareholders with the debt load and deliver to bondholders the collateral. That's how ESL investments is milking SHLD. Then they pull their shares from being borrowed and force a squeeze, offload some to those who try to catch the 'rebound', and issue more debt so they can keep it afloat long enough do it all again.

3. zdreg

zdreg

that'a a good one. ah yes! wash and rinse is alive and well.

vanzandt likes this.
  4. hajimow

hajimow

Macy's will survive. Sears will die in a year. JC Penny also will be in death bed or die.

vanzandt likes this.
  5. vanzandt

vanzandt

Hmmm.
    Thats a great point, but they're not even close to being as bad as Sears.

6. I agree with you there. I'm just suspicious of any real estate retailers these days. There's just too much exposure to a down market when your company value is based on land value, and your earning potential on consumer discretionary spending. Especially given the headwinds they face. If I was looking at retail, I'd be looking towards luxury brands, or well marketed brands that are not as beholden to customer preferences.

7. vanzandt

vanzandt

In 2015, some an activist investor group valued their property north of 25 Billion conservatively. Thats over twice their enterprise value and almost three times market cap.

Brick and mortar is not going away completely. And Macys is "best of breed" to be trite. And unlike that POS garbage store Kohls.... Macys does carry upscale brands. Good quality stuff.

Macys will either go it alone or strike a deal. Its entrenched and they have DEEP pockets. It may take a quarter or two... but M heads north.

These things take time lmao... someone should ask Soeswasbetter where IBM closed today and what it hit yesterday. That took a whole 5 days lol.... heaven forbid. $158 is lookin pretty good ain't it Soes. :D

seinfeld-thanksgiving.jpg

8. I just have my doubts generally about it. I'd be happier with it if they didn't have debt.

Hehe, I've been pretty hard on him in another thread...making him uncomfortable with things like facts and logic. Poor guy. It just seems like heaping it on to mention having ridden the post earnings bull up, and the bear back down.

9. vanzandt

vanzandt

Debt's OK if FCF is strong.

10. Actually, if you look at this one and compare it to retail REITs, it actually doesn't look that bad.

#10     Oct 26, 2017