Manhattan financier jumps to his death after firm liquidated

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by jys78, Apr 28, 2021.

1. jys78

jys78

VPhantom, KCalhoun, krugman25 and 3 others like this.
  2. Millionaire

Millionaire

People have different personalities, and these traits are mostly fixed you cant change them that much.

Millionaires aside.
    If you take a really hard working person make them unemployed and if they are not able to find any work, they will feel depressed and suicidal.

And at the same time some other people just wont be bothered by it.

mokwit likes this.
  3. smallfil

smallfil

Another guy without any risk management clue? Just like Optionsellers honcho, James Cordier learned the hard way. This guy had $20 billion to manage and he lost most of it? Let that sink in. Sorry for his family but, it is all his doing. If he controlled his risk, no way he should have lost that much monies. Retail traders shooting to make millions of the $1,000-$5,000 you have to trade, you are nuts and will lose all your monies like this guy. Chances are good, you are plowing 80%-100% of your capital on each and every trade. One bad trade will finish you. Reddit traders illustrate the utter stupidity and greed of today's newbie traders.

4. jys78

jys78

I thought he was a "value investor"...

5. Nobert

Nobert

Maybe you know the equities that he participated in ?
    (If those were equities at all)

Could check on how much value there was in those.

Dangerous game. Not the first one & definitely not the last one, of such fate.

Welcome To The Arena.

6. smallfil

smallfil

Is that the same as a buy and hold investor? If you have maybe, 50 years, you might breakeven. CSCO in 1999 was around $120.00, now it is $51.44, still a 57% loss, 21 years later and still looking to breakeven if someone still holds it to this date? I bailed out long, long ago and took my huge losses. Even if you are an investor, you still need risk management and position sizing to keep your risk manageable and to survive for the long haul. Too many people in the stockmarket ignore the risk to their capital until, it is too late. My huge mistake on CSCO is not having a stop loss in place. That would have saved me a lot of monies but, I believed the lie of buy and hold as a lot of investors did. Just hang on, it is going back up. Well, maybe....

mokwit, antares66 and jys78 like this.
  7. bone

bone

My take on the story is that he was more of a narcissistic control freak who couldn't stand the thought of sharing responsibility with a very highly regarded business partner (Chuck de Lardemelle).

I feel bad for his wife and children.

VPhantom and jys78 like this.
  8. smallfil

smallfil

9. destriero

destriero

smalldik cannot read. The firm had redemptions; no massive losses. The money left with de Lardemelle and the dude couldn't live with the shame that most of their investors were there for the partner's expertise.

10. Arrow78

Arrow78

"The NYPD had said that a man had died in an apparent suicide but declined to identify him"

I wouldn' t be surprise if this guy decided to vanish

#10     Apr 28, 2021