Michael J Parsons -- Author of Channel Surfing/Balance Dynamics/Reversal Dynamics

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by TwentyTwoTraders, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Good Morning,

I was wondering if any students of Mr. Michael J Parsons are on this forum. Mr. Parsons is the author of a book titled Channel Surfing and also produced a trilogy of DVDs entitled: Channel Surfing, Balance Dynamics and Reversal Dynamics.

Unfortunately, his website has been down for some time (greatest trading tools) and attempts to contact him have not been unsuccessful thus far....

Sorry to say Mr. Parsons' work has been widely pirated and is being resold on every Chinese and Russian cracking site from here till eternity.

I have found a lot of value in Balance Dynamics and would like to contact the author, Mr. Parsons to pay for his original work and also in the hope I could clarify my doubts directly with him.

Hence, I would appreciate if any of Mr. Parsons old students could direct me to Mr. Parsons by sending me a DM.

Thank you.

SAS

2. MKTrader

MKTrader

I read the book years ago. It was just another subjective approach, with no 100% black-and-white rules, backtesting or real-time performance results. I'm sure Parsons' disciples would like to think he's on some tiny exotic island, making bank by "channel surf" trading a few hours a day. It's more likely that he's in some completely different line of work now.

senfkopf likes this.
  3. Thanks for the reply MKTrader. May I know if anyone found any value in Mr. Parsons work?, i.e., Balance Dynamics/Reversal Dynamics or Channel Surfing.

Thank you,

SAS

4. MKTrader

MKTrader

I can't help you there. It looks like he was a pretty early adopter of using Youtube (12-year old channel) and social media for marketing--but hasn't added new content in years from the brief search I did. If his site is down, I'd assume he's out of the trading education business for good. I guess you could comment on his YT videos or Facebook/Twitter accounts and see if anyone replies and wants to discuss.

5. Thank you for the advice MKTrader. Will try to contact him this way.

BR, SAS

6. Hello. I am just bumping this tread. Please request any old students of Mr. Parson's to help me get in touch with him.

Thank you, SAS

7. Happy New Year to all. Bumping this thread for the New Year. thanks SAS

8. volpri

volpri

There is no such creature as non-subjective trading. We may think we are but we ain’t. Algo’s and the whole lot of trading ideas and concepts are built upon subjective ideas. Things we observe and things we interpret. HFT’s (70%) of computer trading = subjective. Algo’s …automation…all built via subjective means and interpretation.

ALL is subjective EXCEPT perhaps gamblers who make no decision (based upon observation or any stats deduced from subjective observation) but rather just buy or sale upon a whim with no “thinking” about it or through it. You introduce observation….thinking…interpretation…explanation…probabilities….subjectivity is part and parcel of the package.

Even our objectivity is coupled with subjectivity. Knowledge is obtained through both. Just like our interpretation of the world and our perception of it is influenced by subjectivity.

Read the story of Joseph in Genesis from time of his youth to his rise in Egypt as second to Pharaoh and tell us what you observe about the story, it’s meaning to you and the ideas that stand out to you about Joseph.

We cannot separate ourselves from subjectivity. Even just thinking we are 100% objective is really subjective. Have you ever seen the market go up on bad news and down on good news? Every wonder why? Many traders are perplexed with the markets now. Bottom fishers and top callers get “shown up” time and time again.

Many thought Georgia was gonna beat Bama! Wrong interpretation ROFLMAO. OH AND BY THE WAY THEIR INTERPRETATION WAS BASED UPON REAL LIVE OBJECTIVE FACTS.

Complete objectivity is an illusion once interpretation walks in the door. Some traders may say I rely only on objective things. No they don’t, they only “think” they do. All decisions are going to be fraught with objectivity AND subjectivity. It is just the way the world and life is framed and operates. I THINK!

schizo likes this.
  9. MKTrader

MKTrader

We can wax philosophically all you want. I can even get into epistemology. Or the theory of relativity and the role of the observer...if that theory is even valid. The bottom line is this: whether used in a discretionary or mechanical way, there's zero proof that "channel surfing" has any edge. If Parsons can show sanitized account statements, performance of a fund he's managed (seriously doubt that happened) or even long-term results from something like Collective2, I'm open. But why spend any time on a strategy that may sound cool ("ride the market like ocean waves!") but has zero proof of a statistical edge?

10. volpri

volpri

Lol. No need to get into any deeper discussion of epistemology.

My point is for all our thinking objectivity vs subjectivity the picture is not so clear. How many times has science declared something to be so and a fact and later had to change it's opinion?

In trading we often "think" our system is scientific and objective when it really is less objective than we think.

My point is that regardless of how objective we think our trading systems are they are all somewhat subjective. To some degree, because we all have prior knowledge and any interpretation of data is going to have to be filtered through our present knowledge ...wv..experiences..bias concious, and unconcious. Science has often changed it's opinion. Nearly all forms of interpretation is subject to some sort of subjectivity.

Trading by it's very nature is subjective and cannot be 100% mathmatical or all that we would need is the correct equation or formula and presto we would all be highly successful traders.

I have never read thru parsons book or books and in fact don't recall ever hearing of him until on ET so I don't know about his "surfing" but we once had a dude on here that went by market surfer. I think he wrote a book calked "Beat the Machines." If I recall correctly he like to say market is going to do this and that etc "guaranteed". He often referred to "market drivers" He finally left. In defeat I think.

#10     Jan 1, 2022