Mikhail Gorbachev, last Soviet leader, dies at age 91

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by The_Krakenite, Aug 30, 2022.

Laissez Faire and M.W. like this.
  2. kandlekid

kandlekid

Whether you loved him or hated him, there may never be another like him. RIP.

Laissez Faire, d08, VicBee and 3 others like this.
  3. TheDawn

TheDawn

Joining his political peers that have long pre-deceased him that he worked with to bring more peace to the world. Under his efforts, family and friends got reunited and the world rested a lot easier. He forever changed Russia and the world. Very grateful to him.

4. TheDawn

TheDawn

Someone with so much courage.

kandlekid likes this.
  5. terr

terr

From what I see in Russian socials, 80-90% hate him with a passion (funny enough, mostly people who were either born after he left the scene or were toddlers during his time in the office).

While 10-20% acknowledge that, while definitely not perfect, he accomplished a lot and ending USSR that was about to collapse violently in a fairly peaceful manner should be a credit to the man.

He had a vision of Russia becoming a reasonably "normal" Western-like society. It is unfortunate that he wished for the impossible. Impossible for all kinds of reasons.

d08 likes this.
  6. mikeriley

mikeriley

Spent 2 years in Germany before the wall came down.
    I can still remember Reagans demand. "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall"

schizo likes this.
  7. kandlekid

kandlekid

They had it, until the 24th of February.

8. terr

terr

No, not really. I watch Russia all the time (having been born in it). Unfortunately it never was (and, I suspect, never will be) a reasonably normal Western-like country. Not before Feb 24th and definitely not after.

9. kandlekid

kandlekid

Have you been there recently, that is recently, prior to Feb. 24? Anyway, when I was last there (left SPb on Feb. 7th), the biggest thing was the QR codes for covid (I didn't have one, obviously, since I'm not a Russian citizen, but I was still able to get into my favorite Irish bar there). Don't know much about after, except what I've seen on the news, etc. And I don't talk to my GF about it, because I'm trying to follow their rules, however awful.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  10. maxinger

maxinger

RIP, Perestroika Man.

#10     Aug 31, 2022
    kandlekid likes this.