Mini HDMI?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tango29, Apr 19, 2021.

1. tango29

tango29

I didn't realize there was mini HDMI. I went to swap out a monitor with a newer bigger one on my 7-10 year old homebuilt. The monitor only has HDMI and DisplayPort, and the video card, a old GeForce GTS 450 has a couple DVI and one HDMI, I figured no problem. I thought the HDMI socket was to close to the frame portion of the panel on the back as I couldn't get the HDMI plug to fit with the casing around the plug. I shaved off some of the casing, but still no luck. I got out the tin snips and took off some of the panel. It fit except for the fact that it was mini HDMI! SOB, I haven't run into mini HDMI before, so now I guess I can get an adapter or cave in and do an upgrade on the computer, which is probably past due. I hate to upgrade since of my 3 computers I use everyday it has had zero issues with updates or anything for its entire life span.
    Frustration out.

2. DevBru

DevBru

Or you could just get a HDMI to mini HDMI cable.

3. Are you running from an onboard video chip? If so, you don't need a new computer, maybe just an appropriate video card.

4. tango29

tango29

The HDMI to mini HDMI is what I meant by an adapter, fairly cheap from I see online.
    I have 2 GTS 450 cards in the build. I'm not sure what the onboard video is for the motherboard. There is no HDMI slot, just USB, eSATA and the other usual assortment.
    I haven't started looking at video cards. Any thoughts on good, reliable replacement cards? I haven't looked at cards for trading in a long time. I was going to build a gaming/simulator rig with the new generation cards, but that is put off for likely a year with supply being non existent at a reasonable price.
    Thank you

5. Lots of video cards available to accommodate your monitors... mostly all from AMD an Nvidia are reliable.

6. tango29

tango29

Picked up a mini HDMI to HDMI cord for about $7.
    I was going to pick up a 2nd Samsung 34" that Costco has on sale again. The resolution is 3440x1440 but I would need a DisplayPort to DVI adapter since the HDMI is taken by another Samsung. From what I see the adapters only give you 1920x1200 resolution. Swapping the card is a bit of a problem as it is, at this point, an older Dell XPS 8900 with only a 385W power supply, and cards I am finding want more than that without considering the rest of the system.
    Any idea from experience whether what I am seeing is wrong and the 3440x1440 might be supported?
    Thanks