Most reliable data source with NinjaTrader

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Nan11, May 31, 2022.

1. Nan11

Nan11

Looking for a reliable data source (for large volume stocks) that works well with Ninja trader and can help avoid non-display fees.

Have been using IB. It seems to be able to avoid non-display fee by using snapshot data (https://interactivebrokers.github.io/tws-api/top_data.html). This is great except that the IB data servers seem very unreliable. NinjaTrader looses connection with the IB data servers relatively frequently.

So, looking for a replacement to IB. A data provider that can avoid the non-display data fee but gives reasonably close to real-time data and is super reliable/robust when used with Ninja Trader.

Any recommendations are much appreciated.

2. ZBZB

ZBZB

3. RedDuke

RedDuke

Iqfeed or kinetick, if you pick kinetick pm me and I will tell you few tips

4. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

Reliable and ninjatrader in one sentence is kind of a paradoxon. NT is so bad that not even retail should use this. Install the exact same version on two different machines and run a simple backtest with the exact same parameters and the exact same data...you will get two different results.

I tried it for some cheap rapid prototyping like five years ago and it's so trash that it drove me insane. Just use something else

5. RedDuke

RedDuke

FALSE, this means you made a mistake in your backtest. We run fully automated algos in NinjaTrader. At the end of the week we do reconciliation to make sure every trade we took matches the model. The only differences were our bugs. We wrote it all in C# with ninja libraries behind it all.

Ninja 8 is spot on. But it takes a lot of work to create proper backtest and even more work to automate strategies.

6. Overnight

Overnight

What on God's green earth is going on with all this backtesting, backtesting, backtesting! You guys spend 90% of your time "backtesting" shit that happened in the past, without applying it to the future!

The remaining 10% of your time is spent pontificating it if COULD work, without actually forward testing it with real money. WTF is wrong with you people? What are you guys actually doing?

BACKTEST, BACKTEST, BACKTEST, BACKTEST, BACKTEST, BACKTEST, BACKTEST, BACKTEST.

Reminds me of a meme song, before there were memes...

mason macgregorson likes this.
  7. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

the difference between making consistent money and hitting 10% p.a. out of luck

8. reliability cannot be defined much less measured in a comparable manner. It is an impossible question seeking a non-existent answer.

9. RedDuke

RedDuke

the answer is simple (assuming not bugs in code) - you have an idea. Let’s say EMA cross over. You put it in backtest and it shows you complete garbage as far as it comes to expectancy. That tell you with 100 percent accuracy that it will fail in live trading.

Now you test another idea, and results are spectacular. Does it mean it will make you money, of course not. One of the main reasons is fitted data. But at least it has a small chance of working.

back test, if done properly, can save a lot of time and money.

10. RedDuke

RedDuke

he means quality of data and its live performance. Both easily measured.

#10     Jun 1, 2022