My barbell options and futures portfolio

Discussion in 'Journals' started by atrp2biz, Jan 22, 2017.

1. atrp2biz

atrp2biz

Link to 2017 portfolio details

Last year was a great year for me--until the post-election rally wiped out 75% of my gains for the year. Who knows what to expect for 2017. Hopefully some volatility returns to help us short volatility folks.

This portfolio (personal and corporate) is the plate-end of my 'barbell' portfolio and represents ~10% of my liquid assets. The rest is in my boring buy-and-hold portfolio (I still have to update the allocations) which I have no intention of doing anything with.

With the help of this forum's engagement I hope to stay disciplined and actively update this thread.

I've been carrying a fair bit of negative deltas over the past few months, so hopefully we get a bit of a correction.

2. Daal

Daal

So 90% in stocks and the last 10% in speculative options and futures positions? That doesn't sound like a Barbell to me

3. atrp2biz

atrp2biz

I've ignored cash and income. Cash represents about 15% of liquid assets. After tax- annual income currently represents ~20% of liquid assets (with a savings rate of 80-90%).

I have a small portion of my portfolio in a bond fund which will remain a tiny part of my portfolio for the foreseeable future. My view is that we have reached the end of the three-decade bull market for bonds.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  4. atrp2biz

atrp2biz

Current positions:

PERSONAL:
    • short 4 ES, short 6 puts of varying strike and expiry
    • short 1 NQ
    • short 2 TF, short 6 IWM puts
    • short FB Jan27 125 straddle x 3
    • short AXP Feb17 77.5 straddle x 5
    CORPORATE:
    • short 6 ES, short 7 puts of varying strike and expiry
      • long diagonal (long Feb17 2270p, short Jan27 2265p) x 7
    • short 1 NQ
    • short 1 TF
    • short 1 ZB, short 2 Feb 3 151 puts
    • short FB Jan27 118 call x 4
    • long TSLA Feb17 225 puts x 8 (will calendarize prior to earnings)
    • short HD Feb17 135 straddle x 4
    • long GOOGL Feb17 825 puts x 4 (will calendarize prior to earnings)
    • short NFLX Feb17 140 straddle x 2
    • short AMZN Jan27 800 straddle x 1
    • MCD put ratio (long Feb17 125p x 2, short Feb17 120p x 6)
    • short GS Feb17 230/235 strangle x 2

5. Overnight

Overnight

So how much physical cash do you have tied up in all of that bleed? How much cash are you using to support it? Or is this just a big bag of false wind?

Basically, HOW MUCH MONEY ARE YOU USING TO DO THIS?!? Can it be done with a small trader account, say $10,000?

I didn't think so.

6. Short options for your 'barbell' is like directly opposite what Taleb says. You limit your upside and have an unlimited downside.

7. atrp2biz

atrp2biz

For the sake of thread credibility--I dunno...call it $1.1 million (but CAD)? However, I have no intention of calling in the reinforcements. I just find things a little expensive to buy in the core portfolio which is why I'm looking for a little pullback.
    cash.png

8. atrp2biz

atrp2biz

True. I guess I'm thinking relative to a benchmark. A more conservative bar (portfolio w/ beta < 1) with an aggressive end (this portfolio).

9. zdreg

zdreg

I say KISS.

10. atrp2biz

atrp2biz

Keep what simple?

#10     Jan 23, 2017