My covid, parent dying, and getting back into trading (eventually).

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by jnbadger, Jul 24, 2022.

1. To give some real advice for the particular situation based on my experience with loss.

You need to let time pass before you change anything major. You will have to recover from the COVID and the pending loss of your father. Even though you are prepared, it will still be difficult.

The point is that you need to process the new state, and once you are bored of processing it, you will naturally begin to seek out new things.

#11     Jul 24, 2022
    jnbadger and ET180 like this.
  2. ET180

ET180

Spend the time you have with your dad. There will always be more trades in the future. Short term, listening music that you enjoyed during a favorable part of your earlier life may help. Exercise, diet, sleep also important. Long term, find fulfillment, do something that you find fulfilling. Jordan Peterson has some good advice on that subject. Right now, forget trading, be there for your dad and do whatever you can to make him comfortable.

#12     Jul 24, 2022
    smallfil likes this.
  3. Overnight

Overnight

The markets will always be here, but your dad, and your need to deal with the emotions as quickly as possible, will not. You gave the best advice to yourself. Take the rest of the year off (or as much time you need) to get over what will be an emotional bombshell in your life.

Distracting yourself with trading after your dad passes will not help you heal the wound that will form. Suture the wound first before diving back in. Trading should be a passion, not a healing salve. That would be like diving into drink to deal with the loss. At least with drink you lose the cost of the bottle. With trading you can lose a lot more.

#13     Jul 24, 2022
    VPhantom, jnbadger and schizo like this.
  4. jnbadger

jnbadger

I agree with you. I actually tested positive about 3 weeks after getting the 1st booster. I will NOT be getting the next one. My sister is a nurse I know she agrees with you as well.

#14     Jul 24, 2022
    BKR88 likes this.
  5. jnbadger

jnbadger

I agree with everything you said. A friend stopped over yesterday and he swears by ivermectin. My dad also always has a couple P/Os lying around and I check my pulse and O2 levels on a regular basis. My O2 is always 98 or 99, but my pulse is all over the place. Sometimes 75, sometimes 110. I've always been in pretty good shape, and my resting heart rate was rarely above 70 before this damn virus.

#15     Jul 24, 2022
  6. Overnight

Overnight

That's called getting old, plus mental stress of a family member dying and you worrying about COVID.

#16     Jul 24, 2022
  7. jnbadger

jnbadger

Yeah, I'm either numb or crying while always being tired. It's like my body is telling me I'm extremely stressed, but the sadness is winning the emotional battle.

And I definitely agree with you about alcohol. I actually quit some time ago. Years ago I would have dove right into a bottle. But I'm experiencing these emotions sober and for real. And I'm glad I am, no matter how much they suck.

#17     Jul 24, 2022
  8. smallfil

smallfil

Sadness and problems comes to us when we least expect it. I lost a friend about a month ago, my aunt and a cousin just a few days ago. It does get better despite, the sad times. We just have to go on. Life has to go on.

#18     Jul 24, 2022
    beginner66 likes this.
  9. jnbadger

jnbadger

Great perspectives all around. The most popular seems to run parallel with my instincts, which is to just wait until I'm ready, and I'll know when that is.

Moving is not an option. I actually live in the house where I grew up. I'm 55 and my parents moved here when I was 1 month old. There are 80 acres and we're on one of the highest spots in the county, so the views are amazing. Too many memories. But even if there were no memories, I love the seclusion the country side brings. If the A/C wasn't running right now, all I'd be able to hear are birds chirping and cows mooing. (And my typing. Lol.)

It's 68 degrees outside, so I just went downstairs to turn off the A/C and opened my windows, so I'll also hear coyotes out in the pasture in a couple of hours.

I also agree about the exercise. I love working out and I can't wait to have the energy to jump rope and do push ups again. I walked up to my jump rope yesterday in my work out clothes and said, "there's no f...ing way". I'll get there. I just need to rest along the way. My doctor told me that I need to get lots of rest even after I'm feeling better. He was right.

I've already responded to both vaccine posts, and I agree with both.

Thank you Rams Fan for the kind words. And to all of those who said I need to concentrate on spending time with my dad while I can, I couldn't agree more. He's been bed ridden since Friday, and he's rarely awake. Sometimes we'll take turns just sitting next to his bed and watching him sleep. When he's awake, we'll have very abbreviated conversations with him. When he does wake up, it's usually because he's in pain and he's asking for meds. But just being there at his side even when he's sleeping just feels like the right thing to do.

#19     Jul 24, 2022
    studentofthemarkets and BKR88 like this.
  10. jnbadger

jnbadger

Oh man, I'm sorry about your losses. I lost a friend on Monday due to a fall. We weren't very close, but we recently talked on the phone about getting together soon. I also have a close friend who's been battling cancer for years. He's been through many procedures, and in the last week or so he started posting things on FB from his hospital bed about how his drum will soon no longer be beating. He's one of those super nice guys who has about 4000 FB friends and everybody loves him. That's another one that's going to suck.

It's all just so damn overwhelming at times.

#20     Jul 24, 2022