My demise

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Giddiyup, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Giddiyup

Giddiyup

Do you believe in luck? I've never met a lucky trader.

#41     Jun 16, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Giddiyup

Giddiyup

Sorry I missed this. I traded equities only. Almost entirely nyse in the beginning to mid. NASDAQ in last third.
    I trader nyse because you could read the tape then.

#42     Jun 16, 2019
  3. Was money management already a thing in those days? I get the impression from this post, and others, that you were throwing very large sums at individual bets. Without seeing the bigger picture?

#43     Jun 16, 2019
  4. Giddiyup

Giddiyup

Hmm... No I never used a ton of cap. I was always a consistent trader. Yes I maxed out my margin on the short ban day I mentioned. Rarely
    at other times. Quite disciplined actually. That's why the last year I traded was extremely tough and hopeless. It was day in day out failure and a failure to adapt coming off emotional high of the previous year.

#44     Jun 16, 2019
  5. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

You did not prudently manage risk. This is why every losing trader fails.

#45     Jun 16, 2019
  6. JSOP

JSOP

You "banished" yourself after losing only 25K in one year when you've made $275K over 10 years, more than 10X the loss before even during one of the most devastating financial crisis in 2008 when everybody was losing money? LOL You really shouldn't have stopped. You should've sat down and really investigated hard to find out the true reason for the losses right there and then and continued on trading. Eight years is a long time. The market has grown tremendously during these last 8 years, you would've well made up all the losses and then some.

#46     Jun 16, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  7. Giddiyup

Giddiyup

Explain exactly. I mean , my idea of managing risk was reducing exposure, cutting losses. I missed something.

#47     Jun 16, 2019
  8. themickey

themickey

I have a heap of beliefs. Without them I couldn't trade. It's my beliefs which gives me balls, keeps me in positions when others are getting shaken out
    Definitely believe in luck. I'm lucky when the markets rise because that's the only time mostly I make money. It's not skill which makes the mkt rise but just luck, but one day it will run out, then I'll be sidelined and gardening instead.
    Refer to my last post in the 'GOLD' thread

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    #48     Jun 17, 2019
  9. You did not "reduce exposure". You threw in the towel and ran away. Hide under a rock for ten years. That is not "managing risk". I fear that you have other issues that keep you from analytically handling your trading.

#49     Jun 17, 2019
  10. ironchef

ironchef

Those of us who started trading after 2009 are very lucky traders.

#50     Jun 17, 2019