Need 900% in 3 years- what would you do?

Discussion in 'Options' started by wekilishorts147, Sep 4, 2017.

1. 900% - impossible.

9,000% - possible!

#11     Sep 4, 2017
  2. Simples

Simples

Unfortunately the markets doesn't operate as a money printing machine. You can't easily turn some knobs and crank up the volume of returns. Losses are part of the business, and ignoring them is why you lost your account. If those 10% mean anything to you, your best course of action is to hold onto them while you figure out an edge or get a salary. Trying to "make it back" is actually the worst thing you can do, which can lead to even more bad decisions down the road.

When you lost -50% (half), you need +100% (double) to make it back. This just gets harder on lower capital base. It's a tough pill to swallow, but if you can do that and somehow keep and later grow your money, you're on the right path again. It's just a bad idea to attempt flying when you're not even able to crawl forward yet..

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    #12     Sep 4, 2017
    comagnum likes this.
  3. ironchef

ironchef

Please let me know who they are so I can contact them.

#13     Sep 4, 2017
    JesseJamesFinn1 likes this.
  4. julianVGS

julianVGS

Sell 2020 2600 SPX calls

to finance

Buy 2020 2000 SPX puts

#14     Sep 4, 2017
  5. birzos

birzos

The universe doesn't owe you anything and certainly doesn't care. The only way to skew slow and steady, which the markets are structured for, is to use shorter timeframes. At 1-2% per day compounded monthly you're looking at trading second charts for high probability setups, near HFT.

Obviously you can drop to low probability on hourly but you would never get anywhere near the target, the word futile comes to mind. With very low time frames you need pre-setup algos which don't exist outside of institutional. But do admire your spirit.

#15     Sep 4, 2017
    JesseJamesFinn1 and comagnum like this.
  6. 900% in three years puts you at about average return for ET'ers.
    Step it up piker

#16     Sep 4, 2017
    trickshot, i960, Jones75 and 6 others like this.
  7. I am interested in the long version of the story. You indicated that your friends/acquaintances lost even greater percentages. Is this some kind of investment club?

#17     Sep 4, 2017
  8. JSOP

JSOP

Marry somebody old and rich, get him/her to put you in his/her will as the sole heir to his/her fortune and then kill him/her off to have him/her die of natural causes. There you go! :)

Good luck!

#18     Sep 4, 2017
  9. comagnum

comagnum

Were not trying to kick a dog when it is down, well maybe a little bit (hehe) - some of us have been there & done that. That 10% may look like a fortune down the road if you were to lose it.

Seasoned traders with good track records size down & get more selective on entries when they are losing, they keep on sizing down until the hit a stride again. This is a time proven recipe for enduring draw-downs. My massive draw-down/blow up took me about 9 years to dig out from, that lesson turned out to be very valuable lesson shaping me into a much better trader. Pain is when you can learn the most. Maybe think about a long term sustainable way to make your come back instead of some hail marry.

#19     Sep 4, 2017
    i960, Jones75 and dealmaker like this.
  10. It is not a shame to be down 90%. Many great traders experienced those kinds of losses.

What matters is how you recover. The market owes you nothing. If it takes 10 years to recover, so be it. The most important thing is to understand the mistakes and not repeat them. If you learn from your mistakes and master the game, profitas will come.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    #20     Sep 4, 2017
    JSOP, khotso, TrustyJules and 3 others like this.