Need Pair Selection Methodology

Discussion in 'Forex' started by skinny, Jan 24, 2023.

1. skinny

skinny

I want to know how professional forex traders choose which pairs to trade. Right now I'm following all majors, major crosses, metals, and indices offered by my firm. That's 36 instruments. It feels like too much. I need a proven methodology backed by evidence for shortening this list.

I usually trade the london and new york sessions on 1h/4h/D timeframes.

2. Stick to majors first, maybe in addition XAU, that's it for the first. If you need more than look at EURJPY and GBPJPY, then you have the most volatile too. If you are forex trader I would avoid trading indices as they are totally different.

3. skinny

skinny

I've heard this as well, but why? According to mataf.net all major pairs are correlated to each other by at least -50/50, doesn't this mean that following all major pairs is a waste of time, and that its better to follow 1 or 2?

4. yes, the USD pairs are correlated, that is why you should first learn to be a master of them. Do not worry, there are plenty of opportunities here.

5. skinny

skinny

It seems that you have it figured out then! Trade based on non-correlation! For instance, EUR/USD, CAD/CHF, GBP/NZD, EUR/GBP and AUD/JPY aren't correlated to each other, just trade those!

6. skinny

skinny

I thought so! However,
    a. I watch other traders stream and no one else seems to focus on non-correlated pairs. Why is that?
    b. If it were important to only trade 5 pairs, why do other pairs exist, and why do other people trade them?

7. SunTrader

SunTrader

Major corporations and money center banks comprise most of the currency volume being transacted worldwide 24x7x365.

Not us puny retailers.

That is why there are more than 5 pairs.

Anyway why concern yourself with what others do?

Trade what works for you, and only you can decide that.

8. Pros are assigned by coverage. For example an FX desk at a bank is structured to cover g10, em, and exotics. Within g10 you may have 1-3 traders covering 2-6 pairs within coverage, with one in London, NYC, and Tokyo/HK/Singapore. This is because banks use a “follow the sun” strategy to provide liquidity and coverage to their corporate and investor client base. The main job of a professional fx trader is to get the currency for the client.

Why would a client want a currency? If you’re a corporation, you may need to make payment in other currency (e.g. US company may need to pay vendor in Malaysian Ringgit). If you’re an investor you may be searching for yield (e.g. Japanese insurance companies and banks buy US treasuries because it pays a higher rate). If you’re a speculator then you are trying to predict what corporates (economic activity and balance of payments) and investors (real yield differential) will do.

The job of a professional fx trader is mainly in managing your book risk. There is a wholesale and customer price for currencies… wholesale is the inter dealer market, while customer facing is everyone else (including hedge funds and central banks).

Wholesale is mainly banks trading to each other via repos, swaps, and options. Your pnl is the difference between your carry (interest rate you’re getting on your cash) vs liquidity cost (what you pay to get, or what you get to sell).

Customer facing side makes pnl by being competitive within a bid/ask spread. This is harder than it sounds because you’re taking risk either on your asset side or your liabilities side.

speculators (traders ex-bank) who wish to trade fx should focus on some sort of primary coverage — g3, g5, em 5, etc., with no more than 6-7 pairs.

Since fx speculating requires looking at trade flow, economic activity, and rates, you should pair it with interest rate futures / yield curve analysis.

e.g. euro is in a bear steepener, which will boost the currency vs. dollar… if economic activity does pick up then you might look at their trading partners currency and yield curve as well. Then you make your forecast on yield curve and economic activity and that’ll inform you as to where you think the currency will go vs trading peers or class.

l hope this helps.

9. GoldDigger

GoldDigger

Are you using any type of screener?

10. skinny

skinny

Not at the moment. I used to use Drakdoo when I was using specific systems. I am making more discretionary decisions now so I don't have specific things to look for when I am screening.

However I am willing to explore screeners if you think they would help, do you have any suggestions?

#10     Jan 25, 2023