Never leave money on the table.

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by mikeriley, May 16, 2022.

1. volpri

volpri

Lol invert your charts. Trick your mind. Love it! I don’t care if the market is going up or down. I want to trade the move. But then I am a scalper not a long term investor just adding and adding to a stock that I shorted and it keeps going up.
    Anyway I no longer trade stocks.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    #31     May 17, 2022
    speedo and murray t turtle like this.
  2. %%
    Good points\
    but big difference in ETFs inverse or longs, much more so with leverage.
    Noted those before here\ + another big big big difference follows.
    Stock market goes up about 75% of the time/ that'$ why i would not buy one could invest 2 or 3 times SSO, SPXL, UPRO; do that with spxs or spxu + get wiped out. So that another big big difference.
    Good nickname ''short'' [inverse also] because its a limited time trade; longs have luxury of much more time+ dividends.
    SQQQ is long /LOL, not long that one this week its down this week

#32     May 17, 2022
  3. Jzwu2017

Jzwu2017

That’s my problem too. I can often see the big trend but staying in is very hard due to noise and natural market zigzag movements. I use scalping on the trend method, i.e., buy dip sell high on an uptrend.

#33     May 17, 2022
  4. Jzwu2017

Jzwu2017

I found that looking at QQQ and SQQQ at the same time helps a lot. If both are obvious there’s a very high probability of being the right trend. For example, QQQ shows an obvious uptrend and SQQQ shows an obvious down trend.

#34     May 17, 2022
  5. Jzwu2017

Jzwu2017

I agree shorting is more difficult than long due to various reasons discussed here. My current rule is only short on a big obvious downtrend but I am still tempted to short more than I should. Lol guess I have an inner tendency for shorting.

Today l first long TSLA after 2:30pm EST. After taking profits I switched to short twice. One win and one loss basically breaking even on the 2 shorts. So I shouldn’t have shorted at all since it’s not a big downtrend after 3:30pm. At worst it’s a zigzag situation.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    #35     May 17, 2022
  6. As I said, slightly different behavior though you can use the same setups, I would agree.

#36     May 17, 2022
  7. mikeriley

mikeriley

That's very good. I just hope you're still not trying to trade NQ
    with only $5000. Not sure how that amount could handle the quick
    drawdowns with anything less than 20K to 25K. Be careful of
    undercapitalized positions as NQ is merciless.

#37     May 17, 2022
    deaddog likes this.
  8. Correct. Shorts (in stocks) are quicker to go back to zero than longs. Is a dividend in SPY even worth considering unless you have 10s of millions in stock?

#38     May 17, 2022
    murray t turtle likes this.
  9. speedo

speedo

Yes for the ES, shorts tend to be a little quicker acting, fear being more powerful than greed maybe and longs tend to require a few more second entries. Any developing trader should be encouraged to become familiar with the characteristics of any market they want to trade. They indeed each have their own personality.

#39     May 18, 2022
    nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  10. Jzwu2017

Jzwu2017

Market goes down at a speed of 3x that of going up. Downtrend usually is more dramatic but it also warrants more sharp bounces.

#40     May 18, 2022