Ninja Trader seems not so good compared to TWS...

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by zghorner, Jan 25, 2023.

1. zghorner

zghorner

First off i'd like to say that NT's customer service has been excellent. Very prompt and actually able to answer my questions. So kudos to them for having that on point.

Of course learning a new platform sucks but damn...NT is a mess. funding the account was easy enough but actually getting the platform live was unbelievably complicated.

Also disappointed to find that despite using them as a brokerage...you still have to buy an upgraded license to use some very basic features like "chart trader"...which is just simply having order entry attached to the chart. Also...how the hell do you view different contract dates? just another thing that TWS automatically does that NT doesn't.

Looks like a lifetime license is easily the best deal but I am very much considering closing the account and going elsewhere. $1,100 for this software seems so grossly overpriced...it must be me, Am I missing something here ET?

upload_2023-1-25_15-5-42.png

edit: I found how to view other contract dates: tools->instrument lists->futures->add->find/select instrument->edit->change expiry

there must be an easier way

Also, in case anyone was wondering, the only reason i am leaving IBKR is because their margin requirements are ridiculous. $2k to intraday 1 micro crude contract...

2. ZBZB

ZBZB

zghorner likes this.
  3. zghorner

zghorner

4. BKR88

BKR88

It's a good platform IMO. Just takes time to get used to "new" tools. :)
    ***Amp has slightly better commissions.
    ***If you're a daytrader, it'll pay to get the lifetime license.
    EDIT: Sorry, just noticed your edit.

NT.png NT.2.png

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    Laissez Faire and zghorner like this.
  5. Well, I did warn you in the other thread that you need to lease/buy the software if you want full functionality for trading and that because of that AMP might be a better choice... :)

If you're successful and trade long-term, $1100 is a small investment. Also, keep in mind you can probably deduct this on your taxes.

But it's hard for me to make a recommendation not having experience with other software. The versatility of multiple platforms with AMP seems like a great advantage, but I'm thinking maybe you'll have to lease a few of those as well? I don't know.

I'm pretty happy with NT8, though. Although I've wanted to pull my hair out because of it a few times.

PS: Their chart trader suck, though. But I bought an add-on called Clicker which is super smooth.

PPS: I think you can trade on the DOM with the free version. I much prefer chart trading, though.

zghorner likes this.
  6. GoldDigger

GoldDigger

I do not like a bunch of fees, regardless of how much
    money I am making, I prefer things that are free or
    complimentary.

But sometimes fees cannot be avoided, so you need
    to decide what works better for YOU and whether
    it is worth it.

If you go with the new account, I would advise you
    to keep your IBKR account, you never know when
    you might need to use it again.

zghorner likes this.
  7. Overnight

Overnight

How bad can their chart trader be compared to NT7 that you had to buy an add-on to make it better? They made a simple feature worse?

zghorner likes this.
  8. zghorner

zghorner

I agree that $1100 wouldn't be a big deal IF the program was excellent. So far, its not even as good as TWS.

9. zghorner

zghorner

yea i'm absolutely keeping my ibkr account open and have some open long term positions in it still. I like their options tools and if i decide to get back into that side of things i will go back.

GoldDigger likes this.
  10. easymon1

easymon1

Are you saying that you can live with TWS for order entry? With plenty of familiarity I can see how that would work just fine.

Are you saying that you can live with TWS charts? At least for a while?
    If so then why not get good at using those two executionwise, then after that, put an alternate platform on a monitor beside your "business mosheen - TWS display" and one by one start seeing what it would be like to use something else. You could start a thread and get suggestions on which platform to try next.

#10     Jan 25, 2023
    zghorner likes this.