Odd story at Wal-mart.

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by GotherL, Aug 11, 2020.

1. GotherL

GotherL

My mother returned a humidifier for a refund at Wal-Mart. Apparently, the cashier somehow accidentally swiped/or used a visa from another customer when she purchased it. She got got a free gift card for the price of the humidifier.

Has this ever happened to anyone before?

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Trader Curt

Trader Curt

Hmmmm, there is something funny going on here

3. Overnight

Overnight

Do you mean the cashier swiped someone else's card when she purchased the humidifier, and also got a gift card when she returned it?

Your story is not clear.

On the surface, it seems that the cashier simply gave your mother a gift card for the value of the return, instead of cash/reversing the charge on your mothers' credit card (assuming it was purchased with one.)

More information is needed.

4. I've had a Wally-world employee get confused about which card they were supposed to return it to, and since I couldn't remember which one I'd used originally, they simply issued me a gift card. The "visa from another customer" story doesn't sound plausible.

5. GotherL

GotherL

Her card was never charged. She has like 3-4 gold visas and none of them matched her purchase and the Wal-mart manager reimbursed a gift card to her instead so basically she just got a gift card for free. How exactly this occurred is beyond me. (I wasn't with her at the time.)

6. Adude81

Adude81

Did she by chance pay with nfc on her phone? For some reason the card I have stored in my phone reads as a different number on a receipt when I use my phone versus swiping my card. . Found that out when I tried to return something at a Marshalls once And my receipt didn't match any card in my wallet but then I remembered I paid with my phone.

7. Overnight

Overnight

Generally, if you return merchandise without a receipt they will give you store credit (or these days, a gift card).

Back in the day this was the greatest scam. Steal merchandise, then return it to the store without the receipt, get the cash back. They wised up and issued store-credit only, as a way to limit losses. (Not saying your mom did this, but this is how it was most likely treated.)

So there you have it.

8. GotherL

GotherL

Nope, she is a tech idiot. She wouldn't know how to by this method.

9. GotherL

GotherL

She had the receipt. They gave her a gift card because they couldn't credit back into her CC since the numbers didn't match. It's either a cashier mistake, system error or my mom got confused and used a different card but she insists that was not the case. So idk!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  10. JSOP

JSOP

No but I can totally see that happening. I once had a cashier from Walmart losing my credit card right in front of my eyes. It's like my credit card just disappeared out of thin air. I gave it to her for payment for her to swipe and then it just disappeared. Nobody knew what happened. And it had to involve her team lead, two managers, her shift manager and the store manager. They all came over and nobody could find it and nobody even know what happened. The cashier was completely clueless; she couldn't even describe what happened. And they all insisted that I go home and they will figure it out and call me and I refused. I was not going to leave a store, a HUGE store like that without my credit card. Anything can happen. And I was not going to trust them with my credit card again if they could just make it disappear like that and not even knowing what happened. So I waited there and finally after TWO hours, yes TWO hours later, the store manager realized that it must've dropped in between the gap between the counter and the cash register. So they moved the cash register away to open up the counter a little bit and there my card was, lying in between the crack, desperately waiting to be rescued after shooting a video of itself dying and saying goodbye to all its friends and families. :(Apparently what must've happened was the cashier was swiping it so hard and so fast that the card must've slipped into the crack and it happened so fast that she didn't even notice it gone. As compensation, they gave me a freaking Walmart gift card, forcing me to shop there again. :mad:

So glad you can check out the items yourself now, if only these machines would work... For those of you who still prefer to have those cashiers check out your items, be aware of the cracks and those cashiers who look younger than your grandchildren who can't even talk properly.

#10     Aug 12, 2020