Of those who trade full time, how did you start?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Smart Money, Jun 12, 2011.

1. How did you start trading full time?

Were you laid off? Did you quit your job after swing trading?

2. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

I left a very secure corporate job in 1996 to trade. I took a leave under FMLA. I had traded for a year or so with real $$ prior to the FMLA. It's been 15+ years since then. Still trading. Each year gets better. Hard work to reach success. Success is different to each individual. Making a ton of $$$ doesn't mean happiness. Life is a journey, not a destination.

3. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

I was let go December 31, 1985 at 4:15, 3 months after I was married, 24 years old. Happy New Year! I was a broker on the floor of the AMEX. My intention was to trade, but for someone else, not myself. I couldn't not find a job, so in February, I borrowed the minimum back then to open a market maker account and become a broker dealer, $25K. This was a lot of money in 1985.

I started in XMI scalping. My hands would sweat from the fear of loosing the money I borrowed, every day! I made a little money every month for around 6 months, then I started to relax, trade equity options, rather then the index, and I starting making a good living. I returned the $25K that November, and bought an AMEX Options Permit, that was convertible into a Membership. I owned that membership until just before the AMEX was bought by the NYSE.

I stopped trading in 2010. Being fired was the best think for me. Who knew.

4. Lornz

Lornz

Aside from working in a telecommunications store a couple of years during my high school years, I have never had another "real" job...

I deliberately did not attend university, thus allowing me to focus all my energy on becoming a trader...

5. emg

emg

i began my trading career trading in the house (Bank)