oil prices

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ron_v12, Mar 22, 2020.

1. ron_v12

ron_v12

Hey guys i am noob at all the economic stuff so if someone could explain to me why is the oil prices dropping right now, is it because of the corona virus or is it something else that happening.
    Thanks guys!

2. Nobert

Nobert

Hey Ron,
    i can't answer you question, but, you don't have to be a noob, to loose money with oil :

So if you go with oil, biotechs, cryptos, forex, cfd's, short, naked options, huge leverage - you better be prepared (with information/knowledge and emotional tenacity), because with those products, people get busted - every single day.

I much rather recommend , learning to read balance sheets of equities, and going for low market cap stocks.

In there, ,,Time is your ally, while in options, time is your enemy''.
    -Peter Lynch

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  3. The demand for oil goes down when people aren't planning on using it ..pretty straightforward

4. ron_v12

ron_v12

is it correct also on companies that produce oil like exxon mobil?

5. Nobert

Nobert

I am not sure what is your question, can you expand a little bit ?

6. ron_v12

ron_v12

you compared oil with crypto and forex but is the company that produce oil is a risk to invest in like to invest in crypto and forex?

7. Nobert

Nobert

Crypto is speculation, has no fundamental value or usage - until it will (if it ever will).
    Forex, if for the long term, then you're expecting one country to outperform the another one.

While in general i try to stay out of the energy/chemicals (too cyclical), XOM is decent buy right now, still, i wouldn't dedicate more than 5% of my portfolio to it ;
    thus, why to buy it all in the first place, unless one wants to build his own SPY/VOO index.

There's plenty of way better choices for the long term right now, to choose from.

Don't get stuck just with one sector.

8. ron_v12

ron_v12

thank you very much for clearing me some stuff!
    thanks for answer!

Nobert likes this.