Option symbol/CUSIP and other data of holding suddenly changed

Discussion in 'Options' started by earth_imperator, Jan 25, 2023.

1. For the below UVIX options position I was getting such data all the time up until today before market open :
    Code:
      "instrument" : {
      "assetType" : "OPTION",
      "cusip" : "0UVIX.MJ40004000",
      "symbol" : "UVIX_011924P4",
      "description" : "UVIX Jan 19 2024 4.0 Put",
      "type" : "VANILLA",
      "putCall" : "PUT",
      "underlyingSymbol" : "UVIX"
      },

But since today market open it now changed to this:
    Code:
      "instrument" : {
      "assetType" : "OPTION",
      "cusip" : "0UVIX1MJ40004000",
      "symbol" : "UVIX1_011924P4",
      "description" : "VS TRUST PUT January 4",
      "type" : "VANILLA",
      "putCall" : "PUT",
      "underlyingSymbol" : "UVIX"
      },

Another important change in the data (and with negative effect for program trading) is that it no longer gives the correct "averagePrice", instead now just says "averagePrice" : 0.0, which of course is wrong.

Anybody any insight into this?
    Is it maybe a bug at TD Ameritrade?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  2. spy

spy

I don't suppose this has anything to do with it?

earth_imperator likes this.
  3. Thx, it indeed is the case, a reverse-split.
    IMO it's unneccessary to do a split with this instrument.
    After such a split of an option the option is designated as "Non Standard" (NS) I think, and only current holders can continue to trade it. I think some market manipulation is going on with such unneccessary option splits and thereby making the instrument Non-Standard (NS), IMO.

4. spy

spy

Did you want to voice your opinion or an answer to the question? :sneaky:

Markets are an institution of human construction... of course they are being manipulated somehow. It's not God who controls them; too busy with earthquakes and plagues.

5. Both :)

spy likes this.
  6. spy

spy

I like pizza!

7. Enyjoy! :)
    proxy-image.jpeg

spy likes this.
  8. Regarding the missing averagePrice after such a split (ie. the price when the position was opened), I contacted the TDA support, waiting for their answer.

9. M.W.

M.W.

I have not followed any release notes but has this been communicated to clients? I have not received any such notice and that is something IB should definitely improve upon. I had a similar issue in the past where the fields in the api that are received as strings broke the parsing of data and caused exceptions in my data retrieval and that did not bestow a whole lot of trust and confidence.

10. The TDA support writes that after such a split "it takes an overnight update for the cost data information to be adjusted for the new option symbol. This should resolve itself by tomorrow."

Hmm...

#10     Jan 26, 2023