Outlook and Outlook Express sending issue

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by tango29, Nov 18, 2021.

1. tango29

tango29

I wasn't sure which topic to put this in so giving it a shot here.
    All of the sudden my email through Outlook Express 2010 and Outlook 360 won't send on this computer. I can receive, but not send. If I test it I get an error message that it is unable to connect to outgoing server.
    I have run the repair option for both and no luck. If I use Outlook 360 on one of my trading computers I have no problem, so fairly baffled at the moment, and getting close to dropping the computer into some thermite. I assume something is corrupted, but I can't figure out what or how to fix it.
    If I pull this hard drive can I access it on another computer including the email program to make transferring simple or do I need to use the backup drive, and then have some thermite fun with this drive? I have a ton of crap on it and while I can deal with the transfer, my family might be a problem.
    Any thoughts appreciated.
    Thank you

2. xandman

xandman

You need to check the configuration settings for your outgoing mail server.

Also, watch the dialog box during sending/receiving. It usually tells you the reason for failure.

A configuration guide: https://www.hostmysite.com/support/email/outlook/

virtusa likes this.
  3. tango29

tango29

It should be setup fine, as I have made no changes and it has worked for years.
    The error message is that it is unable to connect to outgoing server.

Task 'my email address - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
    The ISP says contact Microsoft, which is next to useless.

4. CET

CET

Most ISPs have a reference page showing the current settings to use. My ISP changed their settings several years ago, and I had to update mine. It's a long shot but worth the few minutes it will take IMO.

xandman likes this.
  5. xandman

xandman

That is a canned message from outlook when your outgoing configuration is wrong. What is the domain of your email?

"@something.com"

I am assuming it's a public email domain. That tells you who your email provider is. Outlook is just an app you use to view and consolidate email accounts. So, nothing to do with Microsoft. Nothing to do with ISP either unless you took the email service they provide which is under their domain name. Bad idea, since you can change ISPs. If its work, you call work. If its google/yahoo then you look up their "how to setup outlook" page.

@CET is likely correct on what may have happened.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  6. Overnight

Overnight

Disable all anti-virus and firewall programs on your machine. If that works, work backwards from there to find the hang-up.

7. tango29

tango29

I went through the ISP page, and called as the settings were different from what they had always been, and the rep said they had been changed awhile ago. I went through it with him just to have someone verifying I was doing it correctly, it's been awhile, and lo and behold that stopped me from getting inbound mail also.
    I have Outlook 360 on another 2 of my other computers and it works fine on them. Funny thing is, one is set up with the old settings and the newest one has the newer settings, yet both work.
    For whatever reason Outlook is screwed on the one computer, hopefully I didn't just jinx it saying that, so I have exported the emails to the computer I had shut down when the kids bought me a new one.
    I did try disabling the virus/firewall program, but no effect.
    I have been saying for years I need to move over to Google or something else for email, and keep putting it off. Maybe this is the incentive, as like mentioned it frees me from Spectrum in my case. I started using them almost 30 years ago when they were Time Warner, and at the time didn't think anything of it to use their email service. I realized much later that was stupid. Now I need to waste a weekend changing all my and the wife's personal email, and all my business email. I will actually be glad to be rid of that chain when I get it done.
    Any suggestions for free email, aside from Google would be welcome. I have thought of my own email server, but not sure I want to pay for another service for that.
    Thanks for the ideas and help!
    Oh, and I hate technology! :)

8. CET

CET

Your ISP probably has a web based interface you can use. My ISP is Comcast, and I used to use Outlook on an old desktop. After I started having problems with the hard drive on that desktop I tried their web interface on another computer that does not have Outlook on it, and it works fine. Try going to your ISP's website and seeing if they have email access this way. I just login with my email address and password, and you don't have to deal with the settings that are giving you trouble.

9. Overnight

Overnight

That's your answer, man. You had that feeling for years. Time to act upon it?

Google or bust.

10. tango29

tango29

The Spectrum web based email is always very slow when I use it, but that is an option also.

And, I know, Google or something, I just hate dealing with the hassle, but the reality is in the long run it will be the better option.

#10     Nov 18, 2021