[POLL] Coronavirus credit crunch could make 2008 look like 'child's play'

Discussion in 'Economics' started by schizo, Mar 24, 2020.

Will we have a credit crisis bigger than 2008?

Poll closed Mar 31, 2020.
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  1. schizo

schizo

[​IMG]
    theguardian.com

Coronavirus credit crunch could make 2008 look like 'child's play'
    ByMartin Farrer|Mar. 19th, 2020

A worldwide credit crunch triggered by the coronavirus will set in motion a wave of corporate bankruptcies that will make the global financial crisis look like “child’s play”, investors have warned.

With the world’s most advanced economies all entering a shutdown that could last months, companies that have gorged on cheap money for the past decade face going out of business thanks to a huge spike in borrowing costs on international money markets.

The sudden loss of revenue faced by airlines, tourism-related businesses and carmakers make them extremely vulnerable, ratings agencies have said, with parts of the energy sector also at risk as the fall in the oil price to an 18-year low pulls the rug from under its feet.

The problems were underlined on Thursday when Australia’s national carrier, Qantas, cancelled all international flights and furloughed 20,000 staff. Dozens of companies in Europe and the US have issued profit warnings as they prepare for a massive hit to revenues. The financial position of the UK’s North Sea oil and gas industry was “paper-thin”. Currencies such as UK sterling and the Australian dollar were hammered as the clamour for safety sucked money into US dollar holdings.

US treasury secretary Steve Mnuchin said unemployment could rise to 20% in America in what the ratings agency Moody’s said was an “unprecedented” shock to the system. S&P warned this week that these factors would lead to a “surge” in corporate bankruptcies.

told clients on Wednesday it had been forced to hike its fees for anyone who wanted to withdraw their money from investments known as exchange traded funds (ETFs), blaming a “significant” rise in trading costs. There is an estimated $6.4tn in ETFs around the world.

Lindsay David, of independent consultancy LF Economics, said the coronavirus shutdown had exposed longstanding imbalances in the financial system that had been disguised by more than a decade of ultra-low interest rates and trillions of dollars from quantitative easing schemes in the major economies.

“We know everyone is overleveraged, full bore, full risk,” he said. “All we were waiting for was a trigger and unfortunately that has come in the form of a health crisis.”

Both he and Coote cited the example of the Australian airline Virgin Australia, which has seen its market value more than halve this year to $500m while still saddled with $5bn of debt, which it will need to roll over. “No one in their right mind is going to lend Virgin Australia money,” Coote said.

The situation could be repeated across the world with the US shale oil industry seen as one of the highest-risk sectors after a rapid expansion fuelled by easy credit. S&P Global Ratings’ head of research, Alexandra Dimitrijevic, said tightening credit “will likely result in a surge in defaults, with a default rate on non-financial corporates in the US that may rise above 10% and into the high single digits in Europe over the next 12 months”.

Banks are also in jeopardy, according to David, and could soon require the kind of bailout packages that saved them in the GFC and which are now looking certain to be rolled out for airlines, carmakers and a whole range of other sectors.

A full repeat of the post-Lehman Brothers crisis was on the cards, he said, as banks scrambled to hold on to liquidity.

“Let’s say you are a pension fund in Canada and six years ago you gave a bank $1bn. Every year you roll over that bond and the deal remains in place. But now you’re saying, ‘you know what, can I have that money back now?’.”

“So the problem for the company is, where will I find $1bn? Not from its deposits or its liquidity because it’s now got more money going out than coming in.”

Real Money likes this.
    • I don't think there will be a credit crunch.
    • With interest rates so low they will be doling out the money.
    • I think it will be easy credit.
    I voted No

Amun Ra likes this.
  2. gaussian

gaussian

Free money getting pumped into the market, massive buyback programs, and full bore risk-on trading.

There are going to be a lot of people unable to make rent next month.

3. schizo

schizo

They're calling it "QE Infinity".

4. As Schizo i call the QE to infinity to be too powerful. I do expect a credit crunch but no effects due to QE.

5. dozu888

dozu888

isn't this what I been saying all along... after 2008 there will be no more asset crisis... QE infinity is the obvious solution.

6. piezoe

piezoe

We know how to handle a credit crunch. We will; we are. We also know how to rapidly ramp up testing. The technology, and resources already exist, but we are not doing it at anything like the speed and magnitude necessary. It is feasible, it is possible, and it is less expensive than a depression. Why aren't we doing it? Sad to say, poor leadership at the very top is the likely answer. I am certain we will eventually do what is necessary, i.e., tremendously ramp up testing. But the delay is going to be very costly in human and economic terms. Let's get busy and do it. The unconscionable failure to ramp up testing sufficiently rapidly is the single most glaring defect in our U.S. response to the Pandemic.

By the way I posted a similar message 8-10 days ago. Yesterday, this below came out in the Times, which is making the same point I made previously in ET forums-- we are lacking adequate testing and we are not doing enough about it. We must to be able to test everyone quickly and affordably, not just those with symptoms!

see:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/opinion/coronavirus-depression.html?smid=em-share

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  7. schizo

schizo

You ever heard of HYPERFLATION? It's a real boogeyman.

8. dozu888

dozu888

idiot look at the USD chart for the grace of god.

every time there is a crisis we print the rest of the world foot the bill.

need higher resolution thinking.... inflation is measured on mass consumption items.... with MAGA driving the economy those items cannot raise prices.

9. schizo

schizo

There you go again, resorting to a childish name-calling when you have nothing informative to say. Dude, when was the last time you went shopping? Prices are already up due to Corona. Some have gone up by as much as 100%, twice what it used to be. Now add more "free money" into the circulation and the price will explode out of proportion.

#10     Mar 24, 2020