Private luxury aircraft, international travel

Discussion in 'Luxury and Lifestyle' started by bookish, Apr 19, 2017.

1. bookish

bookish

What do you guys think about aircraft?

At first I was hot on the idea of helicopters but the range is limited for even the best ones. Only around 500-600 miles. Unless you want to spend so much on one that even Bill Gates would feel guilty about it.

I'm partial to twin engine props instead of jets. I like the idea of at least being able to get a license and fly myself but I'm told getting a license for jets is too much work unless you plan on doing it professionally.

Do you have to have a copilot for a jet, or is it based on size or weather or not its commercial? I'm not fond of the idea of lugging a pilot around with me, rather do it myself.

I think range is important to me. Aside from range I think I'd like one that is a little smaller, maybe ten people, 16 max, 8 minimum.

Does anyone have a plane they are partial to?

2. Sig

Sig

I was a professional helo pilot and have been flying fixed wing since I was 17 so I hopefully have a little to offer on this topic. First, I'll tell you that I no longer fly. The reason I no longer fly is because I can't be sure that I'll be able to go fly for at least an hour a week, do several actual or practice instrument approaches a month, practice holding, cross-wind landings, stalls, and a half dozen other skills that are highly perishable if not exercised frequently. If a professional pilot with several thousand hours won't fly unless he's able to remain current in all the potential flight regimes he may encounter, it should give you pause to think you can get the minimum hours to learn to fly and then go out and kick the tires, light the fires, and go fly without putting in serious and continuous time staying current. To me that's the biggest practical hurdle to someone in your situation, and it's the cause of most general aviation mishaps. But if you're sure you can meet that requirement....
    1. You need to obtain a private pilots license with an instrument and complex aircraft rating, as well as probably a type rating (required for aircraft over 12,500 lbs among other things). This will require you to have a minimum of a couple hundred hours of flight instruction to achieve basic competency, plus an equal amount of ground instruction and briefing/debriefing, plus a good deal of studying. On the plus side, you can take a couple month vacation and do this all at once at a flight school, otherwise it's going to be a couple of years trying to do it nights and weekends, working around your schedule and the weather. If you carry passengers for hire you'll need a commercial license, which requires a minimum of 250 hours of flight time and a chunk of extra instruction and testing.
    Keep in mind that there's some aptitude required to fly, both coordination and spatial orientation for figuring out where you are based on a single needle pointing to a heading, risk management, weather forecasting.... You can't turn everyone into a pilot no matter how much they want to be one.
    2. You need to pass at least a third class medical exam, second class for commercial. Normally not a big deal but there are some conditions that are no big deal for anyone but a pilot, so you'd want to figure that out before you spend the big bucks and time.
    3. You don't need a copilot for personal flying. The fact that all commercial operations use a copilot, even though their pilots have thousands of hours of experience and are super current while you're a brand new pilot with no experience may give you pause, or maybe not.
    4. A two person airplane is a small airplane. A 16 person airplane is a commuter plane. Private pilots generally don't fly 16 person planes. Also, airplanes are extremely weight sensitive, so an "8 person" airplane can generally only carry 8 people, not them and their scuba gear for a week long trip.
    5. There's really no more work involved in learning to fly or remaining current on a 10 passenger turboprop vice a 10 passenger turbofan.

My biggest recommendation is to find the nearest airport to you and go do an introductory lesson. You can probably get one for less than $200. Chat with the instructor, look around, enjoy the experience. You're putting the cart way before the horse talking about turboprop vs turbofan at this point. Maybe you end up with a private license and renting a 4 passenger Piper; nothing wrong with that at all!

Sprout and fan27 like this.
  3. vanzandt

vanzandt

Two rednecks hire a small plane to take them to a remote area of Canada. Upon dropping off the hunters, the pilot tells them, "Remember only one moose, because the plane won't be able to take off with more weight than that." The hunters go off. A week later when the plane returns to pick them up the two hunters are standing by the lake with two moose.

The pilot fumes, "I told you guys only one moose, you'll have to leave one because we won't be able to take off with that much weight."

"Oh, c'mon," beg the two hunters, "Last year the pilot let us take two moose on, ....you're just a chicken."

Not wanting to be accused of being a coward, the pilot allows the two to bring both moose on the craft. The plane starts across the lake, straining to take off. The pilot tries and tries to no avail as they run out of room and the plane crashes into the trees at the end of the lake.

A while later after coming to one of the rednecks gets up all dazed and looks at the scattered debris of the wreck and says, "Where are we?"

To which the other redneck replies: ...." 'Bout the same place we were last year".

Sprout, fan27, JSOP and 2 others like this.
  4. Back in the 80's an old buddy of mine fulfilled his dream of getting a private pilot's license and owning his own plane. After flying regularly for a few years he got married, had kids, and that poor plane sat and sat (and sat) for decades at his airport.

It's kind of like the old joke about the 2 happiest days of a boat owner's life being the day he buys it and the day he sells it.

5. Private flight is getting cheaper and cheaper. Only buy if you have mad money.

I have heard positive things about these guys.

Heck, i can fly private from FTL to NYC for couple G's or less--

https://jetsmarter.com/

6. sle

sle

Right. Do you find that the time savings are worth the premium?

7. Not yet, but soon. Its more of a hassle savings than time--Since to get the real cheap private seats you need to fly on their schedule.

8. Sig

Sig

Probably tough to justify on pure economics, but when you're doing your math remember you get to go to the Signature FBO off to the side of the airport, park 5' from the front door, and walk straight through to your plane and be in the air 15 minutes later. Depending how early you usually get to the airport, how often your flight gets delayed, and how well you can work in an airport lounge that can be worth an extra hour of hassle, plus you get to leave and arrive at exactly the time you want, not whatever is scheduled. Plus remember the flight costs the same if you have the plane full or it's just you. The sweet spot for these types of flights is a 500 mile flight between two cities that don't have a direct commercial flight when you've got 3 or 4 people who need to go. In some cases when you figure the value of all your time it can actually be cheaper, especially if you can avoid an extra overnight because you write the schedule.
    I used to deliver helicopters around the country and our facility also had Falcon 20s which we could use for transport if it was cheaper than flying commercial (using our internal hourly rates which were much less than you pay to charter). Often it was much cheaper for them to come pick our crew of 4 up in the Falcon after a delivery than lose us all for a day plus pay airfare, per diem, and lodging, and often the Falcon crew could knock out some minimums as well. As a side benefit, even though they weren't exec fitted it was a whole lot nicer and more convenient for us!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  9. sle

sle

Yeah, it's a bit different for my situation (not that I'd ever feel like paying for it). You don't get the same degree of comfort in the NYC because the airports are "in all the right places". I have taken the helo from the Wall Street pad to the JFK, which is a bargain for 150 (vs cab at 55-60).

PS. Instead of a private jet membership, I wish there was some sort of a gopher service - for instance, I need a new car radio and I have no idea where to even start.

10. vanzandt

vanzandt

http://chicagoinno.streetwise.co/20...artup-is-making-uber-for-airplanes-a-reality/

#10     Apr 19, 2017