Quantum computing one step closer to reality after futuristic computers reach 99 percent accuracy

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by ipatent, Jan 21, 2022.

1. ipatent

ipatent

Quantum computing one step closer to reality after futuristic computers reach 99 percent accuracy

The biggest breakthrough in the study, researchers say, is overcoming the need to isolate individual qubits in the computing process. Until now, it’s been seemingly impossible for qubits to interact with each other. The team used an electron encompassing two nuclei of phosphorus atoms to overcome this problem.

“If you have two nuclei that are connected to the same electron, you can make them do a quantum operation,” says study author Mateusz Mądzik.

“While you don’t operate the electron, those nuclei safely store their quantum information. But now you have the option of making them talk to each other via the electron, to realize universal quantum operations that can be adapted to any computational problem.”

[​IMG]
    Scientists constructed the silicon nanoelectronic device holding the quantum processor using methods compatible with industry standards for existing computer chips. (Image: Tony Melov / UNSW)
    “This really is an unlocking technology,” adds Dr. Serwan Asaad. “The nuclear spins are the core quantum processor. If you entangle them with the electron, then the electron can then be moved to another place and entangled with other qubit nuclei further afield, opening the way to making large arrays of qubits capable of robust and useful computations.”

With this breakthrough, study authors say semiconductor spin qubits in silicon could soon become the platform of choice as scientists build the next wave of reliable quantum computers.

2. mlawson71

mlawson71

I confess that the technical details are totally going over my head, but it is very cool either way!

3. charly11

charly11

The future is already here. I am always amazed by the development of technology and enjoy watching the progress of mankind

4. mlawson71

mlawson71

Humanity has made an incredible technological progress just in the past two hundred years, true.

5. Millionaire

Millionaire

Sounds like BS to me, claiming some progress to get more funding.

6. mlawson71

mlawson71

If that is the case the truth will come out sooner or later, I have no doubt about it.