Question on running fiber and cable

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by tango29, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Overnight

Overnight

So that is 90,000 bux. So you could get better ping to your ISP? That seems nuts. Hope it paid for itself by now.

#11     Oct 23, 2021
  2. volpri

volpri

And to think I can scalp off a laptop with a verizon hotspot while my wife is racing down the Interstate 70 MPH. And I don't lose the signal going under a bridge!

#12     Oct 24, 2021
    MarkBrown likes this.
  3. tango29

tango29

I have an appointment for ATT to do the hookup next week. I went with 500 mbps service. The price $55 is $13 less than my 300mbps cable currently. The $55 includes $10 for their modem router, and I will be replacing that with my own as quickly as I get moving on buying my own, so actually $45 a month. Also since we have ATT cell service the price is locked in as long as we keep the service, rather than being a 1 year promotional rate.
    I will be calling Spectrum and looking for a discount as well as refunds for the outages of late.

#13     Oct 25, 2021
  4. Overnight

Overnight

Remember man. You don't need bandwidth for trading, you just need good latency and no packet loss.

The amount of trading data in each packet is so small it would make your head implode.

#14     Oct 25, 2021
    comagnum and p0box4 like this.
  5. tango29

tango29

Yeah, I know, that is partly as a gift to the 2 sons who live nearby and come over here to do their gaming. They play each other and online against other people. It's $10 more, and while I tend to be a tightwad on things like this, I caved. Still much cheaper than Spectrum, which down the road is going away in our household.
    I need to upload a video of the kids(in their 20's) playing FIFA, or Madden. A lot of swearing, and I'm still waiting for a controller to go through a tv. I blame it on their Mom. :)

#15     Oct 26, 2021
  6. tango29

tango29

Having the fiber feed paid off today. Spectrum is out again. The wifi coverage is not the best at least with their modem/router unit. Hopefully this weekend I'll get going on replacing their unit.

#16     Nov 19, 2021
  7. Overnight

Overnight

Was it a 90K payoff?

#17     Nov 19, 2021
  8. tango29

tango29

Not today, but enough to cover the cost of the feed for more than a few months. It was a half day as the Spectrum guy showed up at 1230 to troubleshoot. The problem is outside the house and down the line somewhere. He says another team has to come out to figure that one out.
    The last guy thought the problem was that someone installed the connection at the pole wrong and water got into the line. He may have been right as I could see the corrosion in the coupling. He also replaced the neighbors' feed because you could see where the f***ing squirrels or birds had gotten into the line.

#18     Nov 19, 2021
  9. Overnight

Overnight

So a partial return! Excellent!

#19     Nov 19, 2021
  10. tango29

tango29

Well, as it turns out Att is the first to crap out now that I have their feed and Spectrum. Switching everything over. Technology sucks.

#20     Jan 12, 2022