Risk Management is the answer

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Wide Tailz, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Risk management is really helpful in trading.

#161     Sep 13, 2022
  2. So are robots, if they cut losses for you when you are not there to take action!

#162     Sep 13, 2022
  3. Darc

Darc

Those "O'Neil Disciples" say they had a Win rate of 36% for one year or something. They managed 18000% after 7 years I think it is.

How many Traders beat a 50% win/loss rate? That means just to survive you have to cut your losers quick and let your winners run - risk management.

#163     Sep 13, 2022
  4. deaddog

deaddog

That's what I've been saying for years.

The response I get on ET is if it were that easy we'd all be millionaires.

Want to lose weight? Eat less and exercise more. If it were that easy we'd all be skinny.

Go figure!!

#164     Sep 14, 2022
    Darc likes this.
  5. Audrey2_

Audrey2_

Risk management is the key basis for a trader’s profitability. It should be studied and tested to understand how exactly you should act in the market in order not only to save your money, but also to increase your capital.

#165     Sep 21, 2022
  6. Years ago I got curious about trading systems and did a lot of backtesting.

There were two ways to kill a profitable system (gradually or all at once, unexpectedly):

1. Stops too tight

2. Averaging down

#166     Sep 21, 2022
  7. deaddog

deaddog

Are the stops too tight or is the entry placed in the wrong spot?

#167     Sep 21, 2022
  8. For that system, the stop was basically unnecessary because it was based on a volatility breakout. It was just better to get out on a trend reversal.

However, I never tried an S/R algo which could probably use tight stops, based on the success people are having.

Very good question! It is definitely specific to the system being run.....

#168     Sep 21, 2022
  9. Stops must be set according to volatility. Fixed stops do suck !

#169     Sep 23, 2022
  10. sometimes our risk management will works to fail after having good knowledge and experience.

#170     Oct 7, 2022
    murray t turtle likes this.