Roku TVs' free channels are great, but there are too many – here's how to manage them

Discussion in 'Music, Movies and TV' started by gwb-trading, Jun 3, 2023.

1. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Roku TVs' free channels are great, but there are too many – here's how to manage them
    Make the most of free TV
    https://www.techradar.com/features/...t-there-are-too-many-heres-how-to-manage-them

After years dedicated to making video streaming boxes and sticks, as well as supplying its smart TV interface to other set makers like TCL and Hisense, Roku recently launched its own line of Roku-branded TVs.

The company’s expansion into making TVs came as no surprise, as Roku had previously branched out into soundbars, wireless speakers, and even smart home kits. But even with the deluge of new hardware, Roku’s smart TV interface remains the company’s main claim to fame. With a clean, easy-to-navigate design, Roku TV holds instant appeal for viewers, and it's a smart interface that continues to have advantages over the proprietary systems found on many other 4K TVs.

One of the best things about Roku TV is Live TV. This FAST (free ad-supported streaming television) streaming portal provides access to a staggering amount of free content, including many local network news stations. Live TV can also be set up to integrate your local broadcast TV stations when you connect an indoor TV antenna, though making that happen isn’t necessarily easy or straightforward – something atypical for Roku.

Wading through Roku’s Live TV onscreen guide to find things you want to watch can also be a slog, but in this case, that’s due to the huge number of listings. Live TV offerings span everything from Accuweather forecasts and live local network broadcasts from a range of US cities to reality TV channels like This Old House and Paws & Claws (home of My Cat from Hell). And that’s just scratching the surface.

Basically, the Live TV guide is something that needs to be heavily whittled down and managed. I’ll explain here exactly how to do that. And while I’m at it, I’ll cover not just how to get up and running with an antenna attached to a Roku TV, but how to create a Favorites sub-guide that includes both Live TV streaming channels and your local broadcast TV channels.

(Much more at above url. Lengthy article.)

2. Pekelo

Pekelo

I like Roku, its cable channel for Xfinity (my cable provider) is actually better than the Xfinity box from well, Xfinity. I can fast forward ads, and that is a priceless feature. It is also small enough to take it with you when you are traveling.

gwb-trading likes this.