Russia Defaults On Foreign Debt

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Nobert, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Nobert

Nobert

2. not a real default

Jones75 and David's faith like this.
  3. Nobert

Nobert

I simply copied the title.
    I agree, yet, it could be compered with the drunk drivers that got their friends/passengers killed.
    ,,Your honor, it wan't my intention to kill them"

And still might get 20 years behind the bars or more.

A murder is a murder.
    A default is a default.

VPhantom, murray t turtle and d08 like this.
  4. It's more like "the police officer used a rigged breathalyzer to arrest me".

Nobert likes this.
  5. Nobert

Nobert

(Smiles)

Yeah, with some alcohol inside.

6. VicBee

VicBee

Regardless, hope the dept holders don't have to wait for an overthrow to get the debt paid off at cents on the dollar. The Brits and primarily French finally settled with the Russian Federation in 1996, on Soviet 1918 default.

Jones75 and VPhantom like this.
  7. Overnight

Overnight

8. VicBee

VicBee

That war isn't about to end. Heavy artillery is moving in, Kiyv is being shelled, Belarus is becoming active...

9. piezoe

piezoe

It's is a real default. Those Russian Euro reserves that are frozen are frozen indefinitely and might ultimately be subject to international Court action that could cause them to be attached to pay war reparations. All up in the air at this point. If you don't pay according to contract that's a default. And it means that Russia will probably not find takers for Russian bonds denominated in anything other than rubles -- and who outside of Russia wants those -- for an indefinite period, could be years before they can restore their credit... Maybe Russia will try issuing bonds denominated in Brazillian Reais next.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  10. kashirin

kashirin

If it's real default - it's US default not Russia as US refused to transact money from Russia to bondholders

Only complete pervert would call it Russian default

#10     Jun 28, 2022
    Jones75 likes this.