Scatty On The Markets... your questions answered here!

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Scataphagos, Oct 15, 2021.

1. destriero

destriero

lol to 8 figs. lol to gnome. Baron, please put this in chit chat. You should be watching Fantasy Island.

#21     Oct 15, 2021
  2. Not slope per se, but issues spend a lot of time in channels... both large and small. They usually have either a positive slope or negative slope. When market moves to intersect the channel extreme, that usually means something whether it holds or breaks. As a general rule, "fade the channel line test" is good until the channel breaks out. Some of the best and biggest trades are when an issue moves to test a "big" channel.

#22     Oct 15, 2021
  3. Of course as a 10 year-old I was proud of my dad for being in the Navy during the war. Of his brothers, he's the only one who got injured... a bomb dropped on his ship and he lost hearing in one ear. He had a Navy book called The Blue Jackets Manual. He gave it to me where I learned the sihouettes of all the ships and planes, nautical knot tying, Morse code and semaphore. I thought it was all waaaay cool! :)

#23     Oct 15, 2021
  4. qlai

qlai

How?

#24     Oct 15, 2021
    KCalhoun likes this.
  5. destriero

destriero

Please slow down... this is complex stuff.

#25     Oct 15, 2021
    ElCubano likes this.
  6. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Lol

But seriously, a good question for any experienced trader is re risk management... how do you set stops? And #2 how do you add to winners/scale in? I'd actually prefer to get dests take on it, but scat and others, good topic. :D

(mine: for swings I scale in/out at 2day highs/lows, for daytrades, I usually do 40-100ish RTs daily, using .08-.2 hard or trailing stops, doing a sequence of 200-400 shares spaced .2-.5 apart to scale, then sell at 1st sign of weakness in the tape).

#26     Oct 15, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.
  7. Much like trading stocks.

#27     Oct 15, 2021
  8. Where to place stops? Ideally on a long, try to buy near support with stop on the other side of support. Exactly how much to use for a "buffer" to not get sucked on on false breaks is subjective.

I don't make a habit of scaling in, so I have no view on that.

#28     Oct 15, 2021
    KCalhoun likes this.
  9. qlai

qlai

I mean what is your trading style? I know KISS is your motto but other than that - position, swing, day, all of the above? Can’t ask pointed questions if we don’t know what you do.

#29     Oct 15, 2021
  10. Good Evening Scataphagos,

First of all thank you for sharing your experience and wanting to give back to us retail traders just trying to maintain sanity on the trading journey.

I believe and trust Price Action Techniques: I have a problem/challenge with holding winners and cutting losses short.

Question:
    1. From your experience as a Discretionary Price TA Trader, do you believe that letting winners runs and cutting losses short is "one" of a retail trader best things to do?

Thank you,

#30     Oct 15, 2021