Seeing People for Who They Really Are

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by expiated, Feb 21, 2022.

1. expiated

expiated

I personally find EliteTrader.com to be a wonderful resource. I have many thoughts, and a number of interests, which this website enables me to organize and file much more conveniently/efficiently than I'm able to do on my laptop.

It took me from August 12, 2017 to February 17, 2022 to "perfect" my trading system, Numerical Price Prediction, such that I can now apply it in ways that, in the beginning, were not even under consideration, thanks in large part to the numerous journals I have created here at ET.

And now, I find myself intrigued with yet another diversion—that of learning how to interpret the verbal and nonverbal signals which reveal the true character, motivations and goals of people...the ones they typically hide behind the "masks" they display to the public.

Given that my educational background is in psychology, I suspect that I am likely to find myself becoming more and more engrossed with this topic. So, the purpose of this thread will be to help me thoroughly absorb all the key concepts required for me to be able to "read" anyone I meet in a matter of seconds, with ease and competence.

For my first source of instruction, I will be checking to see what Chase Hughes has to say on the topic...

Leob and Baron like this.
  2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Cool thread!

I wouldn't call myself a grandmaster in this area, but enabling people to communicate who they really are is of my top abilities for sure. I can't even tell you how many people I have spoken to for the very first time that said at some point during the conversation, "I can't believe I just revealed that about myself. You're literally the only person I have ever told." ...and often that statement is accompanied with a *sigh* and a look of relief on that person's face, just like they just dumped a bag of concrete off their shoulders that was a heavy burden for decades.

Extracting and understanding the nature of a person is one of the most valuable skills you can develop, not just for the experience of learning someone new, but for the value you bring to that person by enabling them to open up in ways they would never otherwise do with anyone else.

Needless to say, I'm excited to see your posts here as you learn more in this area.

ElCubano, beginner66, TheDawn and 2 others like this.
  3. Leob

Leob

:thumbsup:

4. Overnight

Overnight

Baron, when are you going to admit that you are The Chad?

*snicker* Man, do I have some concrete to dump at your pad. Heh.

5. expiated

expiated

Now that it appears I have arrived at the final version of the final version of the most practical application of the Numerical Price Prediction Forex trading system, let me get back to some of the interests I recently intended to begin investigation, including the interpretation of body language.

I'm starting with the Human Needs Map because, as a former psychology major, it is an area of interest to me, so I am not likely to get bored with this pursuit before I even get started; and because I am not trying to master the topic right now, but am simply trying to build a body of background knowledge readily available in memory for mastering the topic in the future.

Since we don't even have needs if we don't exist, and since we exist because, like the rest of the world, we are physical, I will start with Physiological Needs. And if we are going go on existing, we will need protection, leading to the second of six categories of human needs: Safety Needs.

Most people want to exist with other people, hence the need of Social Belonging. But, once we associate with others, they can affect us negatively. So to counteract that, we are going to have the need for Self-Esteem. If we can get beyond what others think to being who we were actually meant to be, we're talking about the need for Self-Actualization. And of course, beyond Self-actualization is the need for Transcendence.

Now that I have used this organizational structure to memorize all six categories, I'll go back and commit the actual meaning of each to memory as well.

Baron likes this.
  6. [​IMG]

beginner66 and Baron like this.
  7. expiated

expiated

The complexity (in my view) of Social Belonging suggests that I reserve this topic for its own individual "session." So, in returning to the Six Categories of Human Needs to learn what is actually meant by each, I will start with Physical and Safety needs.

When I hear the term physical needs, the first thing I think of is food, shelter and clothing. Indeed, these are included, but Chase also includes three more: water, health and sleep.

So, to remember them, I am dividing them into three subcategories: Things that nourish us internally (food and water), things that protect us from the external (clothing and shelter), and things the meet our health needs (health and sleep).

In terms of safety, continuing with the concept of health, which can be mental as well as physical, we have medicine (physical) and well-being (mental), though I suppose some medicines impact on our mental health, and there is also the physical aspect of well being as well.

Then of course, the most obvious response to what we need security from is predators.

And then finally, Chase introduces yet another aspect of security: financial.

Physical Needs
    • food
    • water
    • clothing
    • shelter
    • health
    • medicine
    Safety Needs
    • medicine
    • well being
    • security from predators
    • financial security

8. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I'd definitely throw air into the physical needs department since the quality and quantity of it is crucial to our survival, and it's the one thing that's even more important than food or water since we can't do without it for more than a few minutes.

9. expiated

expiated

Once I focused on it, Social Belonging was not as complex as it seemed at first. Of course, when one thinks of social, the first thing one thinks of is groups, two of which are tribes and families. Continuing to move from the more general to the more specific, you have friendships. And beyond simple friendships, there is the need for intimacy.

Social Belonging:
    • Social groups
    • Family or Tribe
    • Friendship
    • Intimacy

10. expiated

expiated

I was thinking about how denying an individual any of the physical needs would be tantamount to applying torture, and denying someone air (as in waterboarding) certainly fits this idea.

#10     Apr 22, 2022