senate bill raised payroll taxes 2%

Discussion in 'Economics' started by silk, Jan 1, 2013.

1. I got a million of them. But I don't care about them anymore. Because they never send me a thank you card for their birthday gift, and they wear their pants down around their ass, and all they do is listen to Poopy Poopy Snoop Dog.

#21     Jan 3, 2013
  2. How is returning a rate to where it was originally, really considered a raise. It was a bad idea in the first place when it was funding Social Security, which needs all the help it can get.

If a 2% take above what you were getting the previous year is going to make you or break you, compared to the prior working years in your life that you paid it. You really have much larger problems and probably manage your finances as well as the govenrment.

2% of someone making minimum wage work 40 a week is an increase of $6.40 per week, of 20,800 yearly is $8.00 week, of 31,200 yearly is $12.00 week, of 41,600 yealy is $16.00 aweek, and of 52,000 yearly is $20.00 a week.

Is it really that significant to you, or anyone for that matter?

#22     Jan 3, 2013
  3. How is returning a rate to where it was originally, really considered a raise. It was a bad idea in the first place when it was funding Social Security, which needs all the help it can get.

If a 2% take above what you were getting the previous year is going to make you or break you, compared to the prior working years in your life that you paid it. You really have much larger problems and probably manage your finances as well as the govenrment.

2% of someone making minimum wage work 40 a week is an increase of $6.40 per week, of 20,800 yearly is $8.00 week, of 31,200 yearly is $12.00 week, of 41,600 yealy is $16.00 aweek, and of 52,000 yearly is $20.00 a week.

Is it really that significant to you, or anyone for that matter?

#23     Jan 3, 2013
  4. You could make the same argument about the Bush tax cuts: letting them expire would only return the rates to where they were under Clinton.
    Funny how, on this board, this is the only time I've seen this argument used. Can't imagine why.

#24     Jan 3, 2013
  5. Mercor

Mercor

I don't think the 1% have an issue of paying more taxes. They already pay education taxes and then pay 5-10 times that for private education. Many pay extra for security instead of relying on the free protection of the city.
    The issue comes down to if they feel their tax money is being spent wisely. Many 1% give more money to charity then they pay in taxes because they feel the money is being better used. Warren buffet is a good example.

It doesn't help that they are being asked to pay more because they aren't paying their fair share. Ask them to pay more because this country needs their help. The problem is that the tax revenue from the 1% does not help the problem. So they all know it is tax only for vanity , to make the Liberals feel good.

#25     Jan 3, 2013
  6. I'll gladly go back to the Clinton rates

If you'll go back to Clinton GDP and spending

#26     Jan 4, 2013
  7. piezoe

piezoe

That's a good analysis. And cutting the Payroll tax temporarily, did temporarily make overall taxation very slightly more "progressive." The reason for using the payroll tax was just as you say. What concerned me was two things. 1) They were supposed to pay the Social Security Trust back. But when? I am concerned that either they won't (there are plenty philosophically opposed to SS and will take any opportunity to weaken it) or that they will delay and the trust will be paid back with deflated dollars.
    2) The Trustees have requested a 1% employee and 1% employer increase in the contribution rate to adjust for demographic changes; but this was a couple years ago -- now the adjustment needed may be more. But why hasn't Congress acted on this?

That's why I was opposed to the payroll cut in the first place, even though I understand the reason why the payroll cuts were used to get more money into the hands of consumers in a recession. I am not necessarily opposed to that, but I don't like Congress dickering around with Social Security. It is the one government program that can work exactly as intended so long as they don't screw it up.

#27     Jan 4, 2013
  8. here's the deal, if you like it, here's how much it costs, it's the most uncontroversial deal ever devised by man or government.

It's not like medicare when you never know how much a doctor will charge

It's not like military where you never know how much it will cost to drop a bomb

It's a done deal, this is how much it costs to give money to a 65 year old. No question about it. You can bicker over how many will live to 65 and after that how long will they live, but all that can be settled by actuarials. When it comes to trading, I should have it so bad.

I'm pretty sure I could teach a kindergarten class to manage a social security fund. It's not that hard.

#28     Jan 4, 2013
  9. Bob111

Bob111

the "media" tactics are just pathetic. they all SOL about taxing "rich" and "cliff" but there is no single f** word about this one(which is far broader and will collect far more than taxes on few rich guys. f* propaganda machine at work to feed stupid people with stupid sh**t ..sh**t they like to hear. distribution at work..brothers must be happy..mission accomplished..more taxes for us,more welfare for them.

how about program,that would stop any welfare for you, if you capable of doing basic work. need money? got 2 hands and 2 legs? grab a f** shovel and EARN it on gvt projects like roads,bridges etc..very simple..

#29     Jan 4, 2013
  10. yes Bob, we already know, you don't have to keep going on and on about it. All of your problems are because of the poor. They don't work enough, and they take money from your paycheck. If we could just elimininate the poor, your life would be so much better.

Like the man said, "We have the mechanism in place, it's just a matter of implementing it."

#30     Jan 4, 2013