Should you bring home your profits on days like today?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by smcoder, Nov 9, 2020.

1. smcoder

smcoder

Based on the current gains of some of index futures, today the stock market will skyrocket and probably the stock market is already (highly?) overvalued. I always wonder, should you take profit on days like these or should you remain invested?

Thanks,
    sm

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I recommend you talk about the specific investments (symbols, date invested, price, goal / profit target) you have and what were your goals for those investments at the time you made those investments before asking for advice from anonymous members.

wrbtrader

3. maxinger

maxinger

No matter what,
    Day traders close our positions before we go and sleep.

TradeTune and CALLumbus like this.
  4. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

5. Trader Curt

Trader Curt

No you shouldn't. Don't ever sell without asking me first

Amatrue likes this.
  6. Stop trading until you have a plan. Then... trade that plan. Taking profits because your afraid they will evaporate is not a plan. The saying, you can't go broke taking a profit is not true.

7. Worst advise ever. Do the opposite and see how that works out. Buy the cash close, sell the cash open. Report back.

DDR and murray t turtle like this.
  8. It depends on your technique, but if you can compound your profits into safer trades that is always a good plan.

By the sound of your post it looks like you are getting unexpected gains. You should have had a limit level where your profits should be cashed in the first place. Now that your portfolio looks green I would say "cash it" and try to understand what you did well in the first place and if it just out of luck, at least you made a gain from it.

A trader with a plan should've never asked that question in the first place.

9. maxinger

maxinger

Do what you like mister.
    It wouldn't bother me.

10. El Trado

El Trado

That worked great for years, but have changed lately.... (Unless it has changed back again and work again?)

#10     Nov 9, 2020