SlaPa

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Hooti, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Hooti

Hooti

Each student defended their tool, their 'indicator'.

At the end we were each content that we were right. Our indicator gave the best answer.

Then as we were leaving someone asked the professor what he would do. He said the problem was one he actually had recently. He went to the pet store. Bought a 50 cent goldfish. Put it in a cage and then into the ditch the field drained into. Watched to see if the fish lived over a few days. That was all they needed to know.

Oh...

#21     Feb 14, 2014
  2. Redneck

Redneck

(Tried to post this, this AM but the site was/ is running slow)

I have a recording I listen to each day to set/ reset my baseline thinking (mind set) – below are two of the excerts

Professional Traders;

Recognizes when self sabotaging beliefs are present and resolves them

Recognizes when they are making self sabotaging trading mistakes and eliminates them

Food for thought

RN

#22     Feb 14, 2014
  3. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I'm uploading this as a Word document bec of the truncating business. If that makes you nervous, I can always convert it to a pdf.

#23     Feb 14, 2014
  4. :cool: I must be related to Bohr.

Gabe

#24     Feb 14, 2014
  5. niko

niko

Now, this is great stuff.

#25     Feb 14, 2014
  6. Hooti

Hooti

That was a cool article. Thx DB

#26     Feb 15, 2014
  7. Hooti

Hooti

The things that have moved recently in trading:
    I have never liked rules. While I have done construction, science, teaching, retail/wholesale businesses

#27     Feb 15, 2014
  8. Hooti

Hooti

Now why is Et only posting the first few lines of my posts?

edit: It's not letting me paste

#28     Feb 15, 2014
  9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

That still hasn't been figured out. Before you hit Submit Reply, copy your post. If it doesn't post properly, paste what you copied and hit Submit Reply again. I had to do that four times this morning before the post would print. But at least I didn't lose the content. Again.

#29     Feb 15, 2014
  10. Hooti

Hooti

Recent shifts in trading:

I have never liked rules. I have always been noticed as being creative and artistic even in non-creative environments. Rules have always been something that limited creative insight and made art stale.

And usually rules that others seemed to need, I could see faster and easier ways to do things that worked, sometimes even better but generally quicker and cleaner.

So I found 'trading rules' frustrating and never really trusted them.
    But I recently recognized that and made a shift to accepting my trading rules as working for me, making my life easier. That changes my position towards trading.

Consider rules that might be active in the quote describing trading at a high level:
    "trading becomes effortless. He is thoroughly familiar with his plan. He knows exactly what he will do in any given situation...."
    OK, how do you have rules covering 'any given situation'?

I've gone through making highly detailed plans. I always traded worse after. Though taking the time to think things through helps in the long run. The story of my trading experience so far is that complex detailed plans are unsustainable in application for me. "Any given situation" ... forget it.

But only in a sense. One of the joys of reading Auction Market Theory was in sorting out 'any given situation differently. Broadened 'chop'. 'Chop' being times I don't want to be trading. So knowing exactly what I will do in any situation? A whole lot of 'any situation' simply clumps into chop, and that's that. I wait for the times I do want to trade.

With AMT chop also broadens into reasons to stay in a trade. If I have entered near an extreme, and the trade is progressing, possibly to 50% or the other extreme, a lot of the middle one might look at as chop. Why trade in and out there? How complex does my plan need to be?

-------------
    At the same time, watching behavior going from bar to bar...
    and not getting drunk... oh, wait! That is another story.

At the same time, in spite of 'any situation' simply getting pegged into 'chop'... There is watching the behavior of the bars as they develop... which gives information and is interesting. The understanding that develops each day is not of 'any situation' in a technical sense, it is behavioral. Hmmmm So there can be a lot going on even in times I don't want to be actively pushing buttons.

#30     Feb 15, 2014