SlaPa

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Hooti, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Hooti

Hooti

I'm working on my reading and understanding.

Had my most profitable day of the year so far via trading an econ report.

I didn't think about it until talking to Niko, but I was using SLA. The lines were in my head as with an econ report things move so fast.

The comments in the chat room about reading the posts in traders laboratory have me busy from now thru the weekend at least. I still have some work to do to make my journal more useful and functional.

#41     Feb 20, 2014
  2. Hooti

Hooti

Thursday I had a big enough win day that I often give it all back shortly thereafter.

I usually associate giving it back with overconfidence, which I have seen as a pattern in the past but seemed unable to change it. At some level I'd do a "after all the work I've put in now I've finally got it! I'll just keep doing what I did today and it's got to work." Which rarely did.

But my whole attitude was different Friday. None of the above. I am in just such a different place mentally and emotionally. What I said before was that "I've finally got it" ...revealing my ego was in charge.

Apparently learning to scratch did take some ego out of having wins, as well as out of losing. Very interesting.
    I was planning on spending today finishing up my taxes. Woke up with a way to comprehend AMT more simply (to my way of thinking), so have been working with that until the day is pretty much done. And not much else is pretty much done. Very fine days, none the less.

#42     Feb 23, 2014
  3. Roffe

Roffe

What was this epiphany, if you don't mind me asking?

#43     Feb 23, 2014
  4. Hooti

Hooti

One of my favorite authors relates her husband asking her why she could describe in a few sentences the essence of most any book except the ones she was writing?

She said that when she became able to (in normal size writing) put the essence of her work-in-progress on a 3 x 5 card, her writing skills improved noticeably.

Taking the time to draw out the diagrams in the first posts of this thread caused something to click in my head that wasn't there before.

That doesn't always happen, but I was searching for a way to more simply describe AMT to myself.

I didn't have the faintest clue how to do that, but woke up with an idea.
    attached is a part of where it's at... still pondering it, so it may change yet, or I may discard it all together.

#44     Feb 24, 2014
  5. boru

boru

Good post Hooti, I don't remember where I first heard about VaP but that and Db's boxes made me aware of the concept of trading the edges. I still find myself in the middle of the TRs but am becoming aware of it faster. Good luck

#45     Feb 24, 2014
  6. Hooti

Hooti

Thanks Boru

#46     Feb 25, 2014
  7. Hooti

Hooti

When you are learning something new

Or trying to break a bad habit (which is just learning something new with a twist)

Go back to school. Process the material in different ways.
    Do a timeline
    a drawing
    make cliff notes
    write about it with stream of consciousness and see what pops up
    start a discussion group
    make a model
    think about how to teach it to someone else

There is a reason teachers had you do all these things.

There might already be 20 drawings others have made of the same thing. Why do another? When you do it yourself, sometimes a light goes on in your mind. No one can take that away from you. No one can do it for you either.

#47     Feb 25, 2014
  8. Hooti

Hooti

But it doesn't hurt to look over someone's shoulder every now and then

and see what they are doing!

#48     Feb 25, 2014
  9. boru

boru

A couple of solid posts Hooti. Somehow I managed to stumble onto a few of them by accident. I will try to incorporate these into my journey.

#49     Feb 25, 2014
  10. Hooti

Hooti

Oh thanks Boru. that helps, I had a frustrating day as my 'foresight' prep is getting there, but my internet connection was messed up for a couple of hours around the open.
    So I worked on my reading and homework. The material is not so much overwhelming, but I have stuffed in so much in such a short time... I think I need to observe for a couple of days and see how these new thoughts sort out in real time.

If nothing unforeseen comes up I want to start posting my pre-open preps.

Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow.

#50     Feb 25, 2014