Software/Hardware needed to trade after the FOMC

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by K-Rock, Jan 31, 2006.

1. i got an aapl laptop and am experiencing same problems with cpu maxed: processor has 1.2gig and it's not enough to handle TWS during fast mkts and/or when running too many symbols. Number of open charts also stretches cpu.
    Although I upgraded ram to 768mb, things are not much better.
    Processor is clearly the culprit imo.

#21     Jan 31, 2006
  2. gnome

gnome

More likely, it's TWS at fault, and faster CPU won't help much.

#22     Jan 31, 2006
  3. what do u mean?
    something wrong with workstation...how can I fix it?

#23     Jan 31, 2006
  4. nkhoi

nkhoi

thnx, I overlooked that memory part, as good practice I always max out the memory for any of computer I have. I'm not a pc expert but I own/maintain about 9 laptops and one Frankenstein desktop.

#24     Jan 31, 2006
  5. gnome

gnome

Figure out which feature of the software is causing the problem and either turn it off or run less of it. Whenever your CPU is pegged it's almost always the fault of the software, and getting more horsepower does little to improve things.

I've run the same software package since my PII, 192 RAM, Win98 days... 4 monitors, about 30-35 live charts open and the only time my system has even been taxed at all was due to some sotware app I was trying out.

#25     Jan 31, 2006
  6. Tried to troubleshoot it and stripped features bear to essential. I mean if cpu is always stretched (and not to 100%, but 90-95%), it seems logical to me that more powerful one should breed easly.
    That's the problem the OP is experiencing, are u saying that he's got no cpu problems too?

#26     Jan 31, 2006
  7. gnome

gnome

Memory "need" is something where you don't have to guess. Just check Task Manager and see how much is used normally and at peak and have enough for that. Additional memory beyond what's needed for your most memory intensive application is money wasted. And for most trading multi-tasking setups on WinXP, 512mb is enough.

#27     Jan 31, 2006
  8. What exactly is using all the CPU. Its not usual to have it run that high consistently

#28     Jan 31, 2006
  9. TWS

#29     Jan 31, 2006
  10. it may be something with Java.

1) get 1.5... version
    2) on some systems, Java had a problem with graphics. Needed some command line parameter change to get around it. I don't remember of the top of my head what it was (Anyone?)

TWS should not take up much CPU on its own on a 1.5Ghz system (or similar)

#30     Jan 31, 2006