Some say it's going to get worse before it gets better

Discussion in 'Economics' started by djmartin, Sep 25, 2015.

1. So within 6 weeks or so, the Dow will rally more than 13%..that's your prediction?

#11     Sep 25, 2015
  2. Handle123

Handle123

We are due for a World depression as they normally occur every 80-90 years. I started seven years ago cost averaging gold and earlier in year reversed of US Dollar. When end comes, put cash into Swiss Franc currency. Few years later, buy rental homes for cheap. My Grandfather was buying blocks of houses in 1930s in Chicagoland, he was a tightwad, but I learned much from him. It good to make money and teach kids to work their asses off, not many hands you anything for free.

I do agree market will be making new highs next six months, market is basing.

#12     Sep 25, 2015
    beginner66 likes this.
  3. The fabric of society is completely different from the 1930's...Not that I'm arguing against an upcoming depression; I think it's good odds at this point...the activist CB's of the world will still be using all of their tricks, so the distortions will be everywhere (just as they are now)...In the above scenario, I wouldn't step foot in any urban center, it will make Baltimore last spring look like a picnic.

#13     Sep 25, 2015
  4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

http://dilbert.com/strip/2015-09-18

#14     Sep 25, 2015
  5. Handle123

Handle123

I am starting to read up on farming and raising cattle and do plan on buying farmland in few years to become more self sufficient. I did summers at other Grandfather and he had dairy farm up in Wisconsin, very hard work both Grandfathers did, other one built houses. There will be incredible opportunities for those who have saved and hidden. No telling if banks will be forced to close or if USA kills off the currency, but I want to try to be ready. I recall after World War One, All foreign powers left Germany in dire needs and printed money where it took wheelbarrow of money for loaf of bread, people were stealing wheelbarrows, and eventually country choose hitler to lead..... Unlike most people might think, printing money, it always comes to an end badly, even if Feds force interest rates to stay low, that doesn't mean the banks will lend it out at continue low rates, it stymies growth of keeping rates too low, of course paying 3% for mortgage sounds great, but read recently that average man's paycheck is now lower of buying power than 1972. Most might not been born in 50s or earlier, but usually only men went to work and everyone would get new car every 3-4 years, all went on vacations. I do not see our society in a better way at all. I think the Congress should only be open for two months of the year, less time to spend.

ROFLMAO That made my day, thank you.

#15     Sep 25, 2015
    beginner66 and FCXoptions like this.
  6. djmartin

djmartin

Only thing that scares me about a market crash is friends and family who don't follow the markets. Their retirement is tied up in the markets. I would hate to see them lose half of the retirement that took them their whole life to build. It would be bitter sweet because I know there would be a lot of opportunity to make money but everyone is not a trader or active investor. I know some people are going to say that they should manage their own money but some poeple don't have an interest in the markets. They could find someone to manage their money but how do you know if that person is any good, they don't know.

#16     Sep 25, 2015
  7. k p

k p

Your profits have to come from somewhere. :D

I do fully agree with what you are saying... but as much as I think we are going down hill, I won't be in any way surprised to see a rally to test the high. All the data they release to us are of course looking soooo fine. If you tell them to pull their money out and it rallies, you're the bad guy now. Best to just keep your mouth shut.

#17     Sep 25, 2015
    classiccharts17 and djmartin like this.
  8. d08

d08

Doomsday! Funny how these threads come around every month but never when the actual bubble is about to burst.

#18     Sep 25, 2015
  9. Dry Ships Index closes the loop around pretty muchly the world economy. It looks pretty bad out there folks. Welcome to the Obama economy! Nobody anywhere is going to raise rates. It could be a few years before anything resembling an actual world economy comes on the scene. Stockcharts only has 5 years of data on DRYS, if somebody has longer term data I'd love to see a chart going back a few decades.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui

[​IMG]

#19     Sep 25, 2015
  10. Many things have changed for the better since 1930 but I don't think they had the potential unrest problem we have. NOBODY talking about Baltimore, Ferguson (well, really all St Louis), Chicago, Philly, Cleveland, probably Detroit anymore (the news media is not our friend, never will be). Its like the CAT. It started looking faint and dizzy some many months ago and we looked for a moment kinda shocked, then kept walking. After a while we just pretended it was fine...then it puked and we all stood up and reacted finally. This is the way it usually happens...things will seem to be in orderly fashion and we will just be walking by and then bam five or six things start not adding up and you say "damn I wish I had bought lots more puts" then, I think, quickly putting it all in cash/gold combo, then some farm land...keep the TV off for a while and keep the neighborhood watch on. Floodgates of immigrants swarming into europe also a bit of a harbinger of things....remember we have mexico on our large long boarder.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    #20     Sep 25, 2015